View Single Post
Old Thursday, May 18, 2017

Anum Zara is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKRMKR View Post
Aoa. Can anyone of you tell me about the Book for Gender Studies which covers most of the syllabus??
Past aspirants pls help
Hi MKRMKR.
I have appeared in CE-17 exam this year and like many other one of my optional subjects was gender studies. It was my 1st attempt and only had 2 months to prepare the whole syllabus after my final exams of masters. Due to my age issue I had to appear in the exam this year. It was just to get the idea and go through the whole process.
I have learnt few things about this subject. Gender study paper has only been conducted twice in CSS exams as it was not included in previous syllabus. I have accessed paper of CE-2016 and I have attempted CE-2017 paper.
According to my analysis paper of both years were significantly different from each other both in MCQ's ans SEQ's. No guess has worked so far. Examiners are not demanding some crammed stuff. Their actual demand was research based knowledge which should also be technically handled. Also most of the question asked in the exam were in scenario of Pakistan.
Let me guide you about books. As I have already mentioned that I had very short time to prepare this subject say as 4-5 days. I had bought JWT book online as it was highly recommended. All were saying that it has almost all the syllabus covered. I needed a book a notes which could cover entire syllabus. After buying JWT I was very disappointed. It was not worth reading at all. Some topics were excellently covered no doubt but many other topics were covered like some random useless stuff written under the heading. It is a good book if you do not have much time to cover as it is relatively short.
If you have ample time for this subject say as 15 days to a month go for gender studies book by Shabbir Hussain Chaudhry. It is much better than JWT book. For better understanding you can use both books as JWT has some excellent points written in many topics but concepts in that book are not enough alone. Consult both books.
My paper went well and I am hoping to get very good marks.
Now I am preparing for my second attempt. Now a days I am doing gender studies and I have come across many good recommended books, reports and journals. They are excellent to make basic concepts and learn terminology. After that you can read any book or can search online. In previous exam knowledge related to Pakistan was required but one should also be prepared to write in general sense.
here are some books and reports which can help you. They can easily be downloaded by googling them. All are available online.
1- Human rights commission report on Pakistan (2015) (Women and gender related topics, also see topics related to girl child)
2- What is gender? Sociological approaches by Mary Holmes
3- 50 key concepts in gender studies by Jane Pilcher and Imelda Whelehan
4- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy on the topics related to gender and development and gender and globalization
5- gender and development by Caroline Moser's

So, what basically I am trying to say that is JWT and books like that are not enough not even for making concepts. Make concepts from these books which I have listed that search relevant data from google like reports journals etc and after making concepts you can consult jWT or Caravan book for understanding topics in Pakistan's scenario.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anum Zara For This Useful Post:
Anum Iftikhar (Friday, December 06, 2019), Asia kousar (Thursday, September 28, 2017), Cheetaa (Saturday, June 24, 2017), MKRMKR (Monday, May 22, 2017), zazakipak (Wednesday, October 23, 2019)