View Single Post
Old Sunday, August 05, 2018

aminakhan is on a distinguished road
Default Books other than Majumdar and People's history of the US - Zinn? (reasons listed in p

Aoa,
I've recently started preparing for US history from the Majumdar book as that's the one everyone on this forum recommends but I found it containing factual errors and hard to concentrate upon due to the way the book is written and the hand-wavy and unconvincing explanations the book provides (granted I'm on the first chapter, so if the book gets better after this do tell as I'm willing to power through the initial pages if that's the case) which left me disheartened.

On the subject of "People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn, although oft recommended on this forum I found it to be more of an (alt) left political narrative than a history textbook. It is more concerned with presenting the alternate side of the conventional reading of history rather than an unbiased study of history. The author himself says that the text he wrote is biased and is more concerned with presenting "his" (by that he means the Liberal side as opposed to the Conservative side) of the story rather than an accurate description of history. Most reviewers also seem to have a consensus that this book should only be read if you've studied US history before and are looking for an alternate way of viewing things rather than making it your main introduction to US history.

This is why I am requesting you to recommend to me a US history book which is somewhat concise (~800 pages) and relatively unbiased and preferably by a foreign author as their writing style is generally more mature than Pakistani/Indian authors.

Thanks for reading and replying
The Following User Says Thank You to aminakhan For This Useful Post:
bilawalsanghroo (Monday, August 06, 2018)