Thread: Idioms (A-Z)
View Single Post
Old Friday, November 30, 2018

ayeshamehreen is on a distinguished road
Default Idiom in Native language

Idioms in English to sound like a native English speaker? Americans and other native English speakers are using a lot of English idioms in daily life. And for a Non-English, it gets confused sometimes. Because they don’t make sense when you translate them word to word. So you just have to know the meanings that stand behind those phrases.

1: Beat around the bush.
If you again translated the word into word, it means like beating something and run around bushes or like that. But actually mean is not speaking directly. It is like avoiding the main topic. A good Example is. Sometime When you watching the video by some blogger and he names the video ” I got married”. But in the video, he is talking anything but his marriage. And you say like ” come on stop beating around the bush”.

2: Best of Both Worlds.
Sometimes if you go to some famous restaurant. People say ” it has the best of both worlds”. So it has the best food. Mean of this Idiom is ” it has all the advantages”.

3: Bite off more than you can chew.
It means taking up A lot A lot of responsibilities that you can not really handle. Like sometimes I feel I am biting more than I can chew. I have studied, and a job, I have a blog then I have household things, nd many other things to do.

4: Next in our Idioms is “blessing in disguise”
It means that something is bad at first sight but it’s actually good. A good example of that is. Imagine that you are not accepted into the university of your dreams, you cry about it. But then in two months, you got a job of your dreams. Which is even better because you go into practical life.

5: Can’t judge a book by its cover.
It’s mean that doesn’t judge the people by their look. For example, you meet a guy, wearing very cheap clothes or dust on his hairs. You judge him a poor man. But when you ask him about his job or business and he replies ” I own 2000 Sheeps”. The appearance is not the main factor that you should use. You can not judge a person by his appearance.

6: Give the benefit of the doubt.
This means believing somebody stated without any proof. For example, when you fall in love you tend to believe “you’re loved one, and you don’t look for any proof. You can always use this phrase with many other idioms in an English country.

7: In the Heat of a Moment.
Doing something in the heat of a moment means. Like You are overwhelmed by what’s going on around you. You do something stupid and you regret it. But then you have an excuse because you were in the heat of a moment. Something was going on and you couldn’t help. So your action was the need of that specific moment.

8: Kill two birds with one stone.
This is one of my favourite idioms in every language. It means to do something in such a way that you cam getting another extra benefit along that thing.

9: Let the Cat out of the bag.
This means, reveal information that was previously concealed. For example, your brother comes home and you see him excited as he has something to tell you. But he is playing around with the words and making you more curious. Or he is hiding something which you want to know. Then suddenly that secret leaks out by anyway or accidentally by himself. It means he let the cat out of the bag. He just let the information spread.

Learn English and become Advance English Speaker.

10: Miss the Boat.
This means ” miss the chance”. For example, you had an opportunity to go somewhere or do something. But you became late or for any other reason, you couldn’t reach that opportunity. It is like you missed the boat.

11: Once in a Blue moon.
We can say this about an event that happens really rarely. For example, meeting your favourite celebrity suddenly. It happens very rarely that you meet a person you always dreamed to meet. You don’t even see those celebrities walking around.

12: Take with a Grain of Salt.
This means, not taking something that somebody says too seriously. For example, somebody tells you ” you will never get into the university of your dreams”. Take this with a Grain of Salt. Because those people are just critics. They don’t even know what they are talking about. It’s up to you. Great things happen and believe in yourself.

13: Be up in the Air.
Be uncertain or unsure. You thought you might be going to the cinema with your friends but it is still up in the air. Because all of your friends yet not agreed. They might be busy with their homes or with their job. So you are not sure whether you are going to the cinema or not.

14: Stab someone in the back.
This means that somebody was in your circle. He was a good friend of you. Then you betrayed him when he wasn’t looking and he was trusting you. It is a bad thing to do so don’t stab someone in his back.

15: Lose Your Touch.
It means losing your ability or talent to deal with certain things the way you used to deal before. For example, someone was a good singer. But then his voice just disappeared. So you can say ” he’s lost his touch in singing “.

Link below
http://globepk.com/2018/11/29/idioms-english/