View Single Post
Old Friday, March 13, 2009

Chauhdary12 will become famous soon enoughChauhdary12 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Island
Raz is right in his use of inverted commas.
See the examples.
He said, "Don't leave your car unlocked as there have been lot of stealing from cars".
"Bring me some tea."
When there is a full quote, the stop goes before the inverted commas, but when only parts of a sentence are in quotes full stop is placed after the inverted comma.
Assalam-u-Alaikum to all,

Please go through the "The world of english language" and point only a single sentence in which full stop is used after inverted comma.
i havn't find even a single sentence in which full stop is used after inverted comma. And i found from a senior teacher that always use inverted comma at the end after the full stop or question mark. May be, i am wrong in this, so your valueable comments required...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz
Please rethink on
b) me is not suitable here
f) told
h) his
Assalam-u-Alaikum

b) He said, "Bring me some tea." is true but its better to write it as
He said, "Shall I bring you some tea." (Note: don't use "?" at the end, if used than it will be a request/order not a offer)

f) I told that I would wait if I had been you.
No we cannot use "wished", as the person is not wishing, but telling or giving his opinion.

h) He said to me, "Do not leave his car unlocked as there were lot of stealing from cars."
Yes both "his' and "your" can be used here.

Now your valuable comment required brother...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.atifrana
4. a) Below are five sentences each containing a common grammatical error. Make the necessary corrections:
i) Where was a very different atmosphere in the town this morning than there was yesterday.
ii) Every one must decide for themselves what to do about it.
iii) I shouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t turn up tomorrow.
iv) Neither Farooq or Akbar are going to the wedding lunch on Saturday.
v) I compared his essay to Mushtaq’s and found them to be almost identical.
Let me try, the solution is as:
i) Where was a very different atmosphere in the town this morning than there was yestermorning?
Here the comparison is between this morning and yesterday's morning. so it is wrong to campare a morning with yesterday but with yesterday's morning or yestermorning. And second thing it is a question so we use "?"

ii) Every one must decide for himself what to do about it.

iii) I shall not be surprised if he does not turn up tomorrow.
doesn’t cannot be used in css papers, we should use does not not doesn’t . (Reference: Exploring the world of english language page number 31)

iv) Neither Farooq nor Akbar is going to the wedding lunch on Saturday.

v) I compared his essay to Mushtaqs' and found these to be almost identical.
Here is the comparison of essays not comparing essay with a person named Mushtaq. we can also write it as Mushtaq's essay or Mushtaqs'
and secondly them cannot be used here but these or found both of these almost identical

Last edited by Princess Royal; Friday, March 13, 2009 at 10:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chauhdary12 For This Useful Post:
taim231 (Friday, September 24, 2010)