View Single Post
Old Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Muhammadwd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dream of rain View Post
Q: How can moral degeneration be scientifically studied? Delineate the entire research process for studying this phenomenon.

Lets exchange ideas over this!
Looking at it from a purely research based perspective, it is not possible to study the whole concept of moral degeneration via the scientific method. You can select a certain aspect of moral degeneration such as, the reasons for the decline of social mores while interacting with women in an office setting in Pakistan. I was baffled by the very nature of this question when I saw it in the exam. When you set out to scientifically study a topic, you make sure that you pick an aspect that is narrow and focused, not broad and general. Even if you look at it purely as a CSS exam question, it is not feasible to attempt it because there is no way you can satisfactorily cover all aspects of moral degeneration. If sociological commentary on this topic was required, without research centrism, it would have been much more prudent to spend time on this question. The reason is that you can apply sociological theory to answer the different aspects of moral degeneration which not only covers multiple aspects but also provides a theoretical base to discuss those aspects. The scientific research method can only focus on one aspect at a time. For example, if I were to prove scientifically that one reason for moral degeneration is the decline of religion, I would go about choosing a population and a subsequent sample and control group for observation and interviews. However, the decline of religion requires a separate sample, as do other aspects of moral degeneration. Theoretically, however, I would be much better served by Marx's theory of religion, or Weber's and Durkheim's subscriptions of religion to answer the reason of this decline. Moreover, the Theory of Anomie and other relevant theories can also help me explain other aspects of moral degeneration in the time required for me to answer one question in the exam. Therefore, this question is, in my opinion, is put there to lull the student into a false sense of security. Its statement is overly simplistic, and it is a deceptively long question to answer in just 35 minutes.

I would love your views on whether there is a simplified approach to answering this question.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muhammadwd For This Useful Post:
salmanmufc (Wednesday, December 16, 2020)