View Single Post
Old Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

dr.atifrana is a jewel in the roughdr.atifrana is a jewel in the roughdr.atifrana is a jewel in the rough

Correct Answers

Paper 1994

9. Differentiate between any five of the following pairs.
(i) Veins: carry deoxigenated blood to heart from body parts
and arteries carry oxigenated blood from body parts to heart.
Vains are thin and less elastic than artries.

(ii) PNP: and NPN transistor: PNP transistors is the one in which one N,type semiconductor is sandwithched in between two P type or accepter diodes while NPN transistor is the one in which two N type semiconductors are fitted on the both sides of p-type semiconductor to allow to pass current from them.

(iii) Electronic current:
and static electricity: Electricity occurs in two forms: static electricity and electric current. Static electricity consists of electric charges that stay in one place. An electric current is a flow of electric charges between objects or locations:

For your convenience I am putting here an example:

Static electricity can be produced by rubbing together two objects made of different materials. Electrons move from the surface of one object to the surface of the other if the second material holds onto its electrons more strongly than the first does. The object that gains electrons becomes negatively charged, since it now has more electrons than protons. The object that gives up electrons becomes positively charged. For example, if a nylon comb is run through clean, dry hair, some of the electrons on the hair are transferred to the comb. The comb becomes negatively charged and the hair becomes positively charged. The following materials are named in decreasing order of their ability to hold electrons: rubber, silk, glass, flannel, and fur (or hair). If any two of these materials are rubbed together, the material earlier in the list becomes negative, and the material later in the list becomes positive. The materials should be clean and dry.

(iv:
A convex lens curves outward; it has a thick center and thinner edges. Light passing through a convex lens is bent inward, or made to converge;
Concave lens: A diverging, or concave, lens is curved inward, with a thin center and thicker edges. Light passing through a concave lens bends outward, or diverges

(v) Fats and oils: Fats are soft and greasy at ordinary temperatures, whereas fixed oils—as distinct from essential oils and petroleum—are liquid.

(vi) adsorption : the adhesion of a thin layer of molecules of some substance to the surface of a solid or liquid.
Absorption: the ability of a substance to absorb light, noise, or energy, or the fact that it does so

13. Which part of a plant do they belong to?
(i) Ginger........................underground Stem
(ii) Raddish.....................edible Root
(iii) Potato.....................root
(iv) Cinnamon.................Bark of stem

(v) Peanut.....................underground Seed
(vi) Saffron...................Stigma of Flower
(vii) Almond...................Fruit
(viii) Chillies....................edible pod with seeds
(ix) Spinach...................leaves
(x) Tomato ...................fruit

15. Fill in the blanks.

(i) In a heat engine, heat energy is changed into _________ (mechanical energy, magnetic energy, light energy)
(ii) Frequency of audible sound in Hertz (Hz) is _________ (20 – 20,000Hz, 20,000 – 30,000Hz, 30,000 – 4,000Hz)
(iii) Deficiency of vitamin B causes _________ (rickets, beriberi, night blindness)
(iv) Cheapest source of producing electricity is _________ (coal, natural gas, water)
(v) The smallest unit of measurement of wavelength is _________ (micrometer, angstrom, nanometer)
(vi) The chemical generally used in refrigerators is _________ (ethylene glycol,freon, methyl alcohol)
(vii) The unit of ‘TON’ to specify air conditioners is equal to _________ (10,000 BTU/hour, 12,000 BTU/hour, 16,000 BTU/hour)
(viii) Unit of electricity ‘KILOWATT HOUR’ is the unit of (force, work, power)
(ix) Period of famous Muslim scientists is _________ (3rd – 5th century, 6th – 7th century, 7th – 13th century A.D.)
(x) Heat radiation travels at a speed equal to _________ (half the speed of light, speed of light, speed of wind)

All members are requested to take part in these exercises wholeheartedly.
I always put my answers after a thorough research, but man is born to err, therefore if any mistake occures than plz correct me.
Thanks

------------------------------------

EVERYDAY SCIENCE PAPER 1995

Note: Attempt TEN questions. All questions carry equal marks. Draw diagrams where necessary. Negative marking would be done for incorrect answers in Question Nos. 1 and 14.

1. Which of the following statements are true and which are false.
a) Cryptograms are non-flowering plants.
b) Reserve food material is usually stored as glycogen in plants.
c) Streptococcus is a gram negative bacteria
d) Spinach is a good source of vitamin K.
e) Insulin is a hormone secreted by the spleen.
f) Femur is a bone of the forearm.
g) The moon has no atmosphere.
h) Excessive burning of fossil fuels cause acid rain.
i) Twenty-first of June is the longest day of the year in the northern hemisphere.
j) Electricity is a secondary source of energy.

2. Define any FIVE of the following scientific terms.
a) Doping
b) Immunization
c) Pasteurization
d) Modulation
e) Catabolism
f) Reprocessing of reactor fuel.

3. What do you understand by the term “deforestation”? Discuss its ill-effects on the mankind.

4. Fill in the blanks.
a) The largest planet of the solar system is _________.
b) The outermost layer of the earth is called _________.
c) Newton is the unit of _________.
d) Radium was discovered by _________.
e) The memory of the computer is expressed in _________.
f) Quartz is a crystalline form of _________.
g) AIDS is caused by _________.
h) Chemical name of gypsum is _________.
i) Molten super hot material present inside a volcano is called _________.
j) Richter scale measures the severity of _________.

5. What is composition of blood? Describe six main functions of blood.

6. Write short notes (not more than 150 words) on any two of the following.
a) Semi-conductors
b) Pesticides
c) Laser.

regards
Atif Rana

Last edited by Princess Royal; Friday, March 20, 2009 at 12:49 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dr.atifrana For This Useful Post:
Saqib Shah (Tuesday, March 17, 2009)