View Single Post
Old Monday, August 30, 2021

Einstein plus Newton is on a distinguished road
Default ARE MODERN WARS NOT HOLY WARS? Correct My Mistakes Please (03)

INTRODUCTION

War is a human trademark since antiquity. No human can deny the absence of war in his time. The last three thousand years of recorded human history is replete with accounts of violence, mass killing and empires attacking other empires. Peace is an unstable equilibrium that can only be achieved by accepting the supremacy of others. Peace is war by other means. The question “What drives us towards war?” is on everyone mind. A prevalent view in recent times considers aspects of war are inherent in religion. Wars that are fought based on religious ideology are better termed as “holy wars”. Holy wars can easily be noticed by looking at the history during the spread of Islam and the Crusades war launched by Christian against Muslims. Nevertheless, the concept is misleading in explaining in motives for modern wars.

Acquisition of food, land, material and power has always been on the top of the agenda of individual desire. The driver of war is the same as individual competition. The causes of violence are psychological, biological, economic, social and political. The motives of war are deeply entrenched in our biological and psychological built-up. We are prone to wars. Violence evolved with us as we evolved. Survival at the individual and state levels are the factors that drive us towards violence. Acquisition of land, power and territorial disputes all are branded as political causes of war. The conflict between Saudi Arabia and Iran is partly a struggle for regional dominance in the Middle East. US invasion of Iraq in the 1990s was aimed to exploit their oil reserve. Palestinian are striving for the acquisition of their land. The cold war was a clash between two competing economic ideologies i.e. Communism and Capitalism. Wars are also fought based on ethnicity and nationalism. Religion is used as a mask to conceal other complexities. Wars in recent times are therefore not fought in the name of religion, they are not sacred wars and holy wars.............................................. .................................................. ................................!!!