View Single Post
Old Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Darkness is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNobody View Post
What I have learned is exactly the same you mentioned earlier. However, I would add a few things. For me, the sketch of an argumentative goes like this:
1.Intro
2.first Argument
3.2nd argument
4.3rd argument
5.4th argument
6. counter argument and refute it
7. counter argument and refute it
8. one or two para(s) of recommendation (NOT APPLICABLE IN EVERY ARGUMENTATIVE ESSAY)
9.Conclusion

Having said that, you can add one para after the introduction about the topic. For instance, if you are asked to write an essay on 'Is colonial mentality impeding Pakistan's progress?' you can write a short para on what Colonial mentality actually is and what it entails. And then move on to your first argument.

Any disagreement is happily welcome. Regards.

I would like to ask: Are those counter-arguments at tangents to thesis arguments you wrote, or will they be like an answer with an evidence to the thesis arguments?

For Example, I see people do this while arguing and still call it argumentation:

Pro: No economic growth during this government's tenure.

Anti: This government has digitized the electoral process.

This approach looks more like a school debate or more like presenting positives and negatives, where none of the arguments are relevant to each other.

Here is the method I am following:

1- Introduction
Thesis Statement:

2- Overview

3- Thesis

a. .
b. .
c. .
d. .
e. .

4- Antithesis
a. Antithesis of 3a
b. Antithesis of 3b
c. Antithesis of 3c
d. Antithesis of 3d
e. Antithesis of 3e

5- Synthesis
a. Disproving 4a, proving 3a to be true.
b. Disproving 4b, proving 3b to be true.
c. Disproving 4c, proving 3c to be true.
d. Disproving 4d, proving 3d to be true.
e. Disproving 4e, proving 3e to be true.

6. Recommendations (If time/essay permits)

7- Conclusion

But what confused me is that there are certain topics, like 'Do we really need literature in our lives', where the counter-arguments do not have much evidence available, or even if it is available, it is quite difficult to brainstorm in just 3 hours for an unseen dimension of the theme posed in the paper.