View Single Post
Old Friday, March 10, 2006

Tahir Ali Khan is on a distinguished road

Answer:
We should spend more and more on defence as the way to progress in Pakistan is through the barrel of a gun.

For your information:
Last year we spent Rs 223.5 billion (excluding about Rs 33.5 billion Military pension which was taken from the public accounts) on defence and a meagre Rs 16.6 billion on education and Rs 4.1 billion on Health.

In contrast a developed country like the UK spent £146 billion on social protection, £90 billion on Health, £68 billion on education and only a meagre £28 billion on Defence.

When I attended last year's budget session of the National Assembly I came to know that even members of the Parliament are not given the details of defence spending--only the GHQ is the sole knower. Nor not is this defence spending debateable in the Parliament. Whereas all other departments give their detailed account of the expected spending for year ahead.
On other hand defence spending of other countries are debateable and everyone can get the details. You can get complete details of the military spending of countries like US, UK, India, etc from the internet even for the coming years.

Until the time we get rid of the military element in decision making nothing can be expected in Pakistan.
مگر بلی کے گلے میں گھنٹی باندھے گا کون؟
This does not mean that I am completely happy with the political parties--as non of them is a political party in the true sense of the word. Instead they are somewhat like pressure groups.

Our biggest problem, I think, is the weak judiciary which has always played in the hands of either the military or the politicians.

Only the rule of law can correct the situation.

Last edited by Tahir Ali Khan; Friday, March 10, 2006 at 11:10 AM.