View Single Post
Old Saturday, March 11, 2006
Abdullah

@ khurram Bhai......brother i fully agree to your ideas

@ qurratuAin,,,,,well sister you have meddled into a hornet's nest because

there are a lot of provincially emotional takers around

but i would like to mention a few points to have some limited answers to your intriguing queries

@NFC well after the promulagation of 1973 constitution there have been 3 NFC awards in total i.e 1979, 84 and 91 and the three awards failed to get any tangible shape and got quashed in the way and were not implemented ,,,those were 79, 84 and 2k .........

well now the question arisies as to wat r the reasons which r creating all this fuss over this not-so-difficult issue....well among the three materialized awards 1991 award by the nawaz govt is considered to be the most viable and unanimously accepted award , bcoz in that award it was for the first time that provincial concerns were addressed with unanimity i.e royality and gas surcharge etc.........

in the rest 2 it was population that was the sole criteria 4 distribution........
and the customs were excluded from the divisible pool.....besides sales tax was completely federalized .......

in zia's era and afterwards the total provincial share was 37.5 @ divisible pool.... this was the vertical trickling of the funds to the provinces ,and was opposed by the all the provinces in general and by Sind in particular ...so Dr mehboob (zia's finance minister) promised to increase the provincial share from 37.5 to 47.5 % ,but got practical shape after a lapse of almost 20 years in musharraf's regime and the the provinces insistence upon taking rest of 2.5 % has been committed by the govt to give them in next 5 years at a frequency of 0.5%/year..............

But besides this vertical transfer of funds .............there s also horizontal distribution ,to which provices are still at loggerheads.......because the distribution criteria hasn't been agreed upon by the provinces....punjab ehorts for population as the basis,,,sind for revenue,,NWFP for poverty and Baluchistan for area

@KalaBagh its the same homologuos deficit-de-trust stigma among the federating units which is keeping the govt from initiaiting the dam construction ......well the pro-dam and the anti-dam drum beaters have a countless # of arguments and counter-arguments in the favour and opposition of the dam repectively,,,,,,i would not go into the statistics and empirical analysis of the dam , for they have already been discussed quite comprehensively by tabassum and adil........ the two most bragged about dams now a days are KBD and Bhasha......both these dams have got subtle differences by a short head.....the main difference is that KBD site has annual flow of 90MAF @ its location and Bhasha has 50MAF....and Bhasha is mostly dependent upon the piedmont glacier thawing ...whereas KBD has a lot of tributries in addition to the melted snow waters,,,,,, Sind's most stood out objection over this dam is its construction within the Punjabi Territory, which is justified to some extent ,,,,,,, there has been a solution offered by some political circles , and that is to hand the Mianwali district to the NWFP in order to appease the sindhi brothers .........and one more thing @the technical report headed by ANG Abbasi ; though the katzara has been deemed the most feasible one but none among the committe members has opposed any dam, except some differences upon the degree of viability ......so its only our untoward trust-drained history which is taking its painfull toll upon us.......

@Reasons of KBD and NFC deadlocks......the answer is simple and comprehensible,,,,,,in the words of SJ Burke its only our own transferring this country into an institutional graveyard which has made us come home to roost ....i hope you understand this well ....and i'm admit my rhetoric might be brimfull of shortcomings,,, so if there r any plz mention them.....
with regards