Thread: Custom & Excise
View Single Post
Old Sunday, July 26, 2009

Amjad Aman is on a distinguished road
Default CEG Reforms

Dear Shoaib,

Thank you for expressing ur concerns on the latest developments. I have also been in touch with some seniors on this issue. First, in my personal opinion the only constant factor in this life is change. I have completed seven years' service parralel to DMG officers in ex pcs; and have closely observed how demoralised and dejected these officers were during musharraf era. The group was nicked as ''Demolished by Musharraf Group'', ''De Moralized Group'' etc etc. But now look at the surge of DMG. Luck is surely shining on DMGs once again. But even during the Musharraf era, the graph of DMG was lately on a rise; keeping in view the group's mobility and involvement in day to day public business. So this is a classic example of how the historical services can prove their worth and regain the lost ground.

Now coming back to the latest developments relating Tax Administration Reform Programme. First, the Islamabad High Court has upheld the plea of the Customs group officers; that it is there right to have mobility of service in sales tax as they had joined the service group as Customs and Excise group and not only customs service. The matter is being contested now in Supreme court where customs group is being advocated by no less than Aitzaz Ahsan. According to a senior any change in the laws would be prospective and not retrospective. As we are going to join Customs and Excise group so it would be our rights to have mobility in sales tx also. The government is considering to bring this change from the 39th common onwards by renaming this group as customs service only.

So keep your fingers crossed. Wish you best of luck.

Blessings,
Amjad Aman Laghari
CEG 37th Common
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amjad Aman For This Useful Post:
Adil Memon (Monday, July 27, 2009), shoaibraza_pk (Monday, July 27, 2009)