View Single Post
Old Friday, April 21, 2006
37th Common (1st FANA)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason:

Karrar is on a distinguished road

I would like to add some tips about Essay Writing.....apart from the typical and conventional tips about the intro, body and ending part of the essay.

One very very very important task in it is ....BRAINSTORMING.....!....and most of the people giving tips about essays either ignore mentioning it or don't think it as too important or take it for granted that people inherently indulge in brainstorming.

BRAINSTORMING means that the moment, a topic for essay is presented before you, you have to start thinking about it and think as much and as diverse as possible and during this thinking process whatever words, phrases or ideas come to your mind, write them down on a piece of paper. Remember that u have to be imaginative and diverse but too much diversity may lead to diversion from the topic.
This Brainstorming session takes 10 to 15 minutes at the most for an Essay paper of 3 hours.

After this........you then have to make an outline of the Essay.....And i have been advised by some CSS qualifiers that one should make an elaborate and a bit lengthy outline, stretching over 2 to 3 pages. Yes...I know that such an idea would scare you off.....but a lengthy outline can be made by mentioning almost all the important points in it, even if that point is discussed in the body of the Essay in hardly 2 lines

While making an outline and hence the whole Essay, one should try to answer the 5 Ws and 1 H (i.e. What, Why, When, Where, Who, How) of the Essay Topic. e.g. if there is an Essay on Democracy.....one can answer the following questions:

WHAT is democracy
WHEN did democracy start and its historical evolution
WHERE did democracy start and WHERE is it prevalent now a days (and many other questions flow from this question)
WHY democracy originated.....the causes of its growth etc
WHO were the proponents and the opponents of democracy; WHO are the supporters of democracy in this era etc etc
HOW democracy can be flourished etc.

Apart from this many other aspects of a topic can also be discussed but the 5 W and 1 H should at least be answered.....or in some cases, one can selectively answer some of the Ws and the H. It depends on the topic.

I do not think so that i need to emphasize upon a good and innovative opening.....The opening can be a quotation, any scene (although i usually start with the portrayal of a scene cuz memorizing quotes can be a hell ov a job) or any other opening method.

Phir one more thing is that instead of being rhetorical and tooo assertive, one should be logical, rational and moderate and UNBIASED!

Also, extensive reading (reading anything u can lay ur hands on) helps a lot and expressive and good vocabulary adds to the beauty of ur essay.

Phir comes the end part......here also i don't need to empahsize that it should be an impressive one too......it can be imaginative and innovative....usually a cliched ending is ending by presenting recommendations or your own suggestions....yhe bhi chal jaata hai, if u r left with little time to finish your essay.

Time management and ESSAY MANAGEMENT is very important. itni likhein jitnaa aap 3 hours mein sameit sakein......i would suggest that on the brainstorming and outline writing thing, do not spend more than 30 minutes. Even 40 minutes is allowed but not more than that....u need at least 2 hours to write a 20 pages Essay in the paper......

n yes! quantity also counts to some extent!....i presume that one should write 20 pages in the paper, excluding the 3 page outline...agar outline ko milaaya tau phir 23 pages kaa Essay honaa chahiyey.

n trust me...if u have ample ideas on the topic, u would find even 20 pages very less for writing the essay completely in 3 hours.

n also, do not try to dodge the examiner by drawing margins on the paper and writing in big and large fonts (types)....although your writing should be clear and legible and big enough for the Examiner.

Bus....abhi tau itni hi mind mein aa raha hai......

I would appreciate if someone can add to these points.
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to Karrar For This Useful Post:
abidalibutt (Tuesday, January 10, 2017), Adeel Afzal (Sunday, January 04, 2015), Afnan Malik (Friday, July 19, 2013), Ahmed Faisal (Monday, March 19, 2012), Aik Admi (Thursday, October 29, 2015), AizaKhan22 (Tuesday, August 23, 2016), Alexkahn (Tuesday, November 01, 2011), alinaqi (Saturday, December 08, 2012), Anila26 (Friday, August 01, 2014), azeegum (Sunday, February 14, 2010), CA-ACMA (Thursday, March 11, 2010), dr.taqi abass (Friday, January 30, 2009), falak (Friday, September 05, 2008), hafsa alam (Monday, October 29, 2012), ineXorable (Wednesday, February 25, 2009), kashifilyas (Monday, March 01, 2010), LUCKY CHANCE (Sunday, May 30, 2010), Major Rao (Tuesday, July 22, 2008), muntaharana (Tuesday, April 10, 2018), nadanhafee (Monday, April 24, 2017), Naveed_Bhuutto (Monday, February 15, 2010), Nosheen Bukhari (Sunday, November 18, 2012), Obsessed With CSS (Sunday, October 02, 2011), pure (Saturday, August 22, 2009), qaarjk (Wednesday, February 04, 2009), Rang Root (Wednesday, November 18, 2015), Riaz Ahmed Alizai (Sunday, June 13, 2010), Shafaq Qamar (Wednesday, February 05, 2014), skywatcher (Wednesday, September 30, 2009), soveen (Tuesday, October 23, 2012), sweet doll (Monday, October 01, 2012), zedora (Sunday, February 12, 2012), Zohaib786 (Monday, November 05, 2012)