View Single Post
Old Saturday, October 31, 2009
Royal Queen of Literature
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: AppreciationModerator: Ribbon awarded to moderators of the forum - Issue reason: Best Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best ModMember of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: 2008Gold Medal: Awarded to those members with  maximum number of  reputation points. - Issue reason: For the year 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason: More than 5 years of dedicated services

Thanked 15,848 Times in 5,006 Posts
Last Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardom

FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS
IN BPS – 17 UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2009.

ENGLISH LITERAUTRE - PAPER II

TIME ALLOWED: (PART-I) 30 MINUTES, MAXIMUM MARKS: 20
(PART-II) 2 HOURS & 30 MINUTES MAXIMUM MARKS: 80

NOTE: (i) First attempt PART-I (MCQ) on separate Answer Sheet which shall be taken back after 30 minutes.
(ii) Overwriting/cutting of the options/answers will not be given credit.

PART – I (MCQ)
COMPULSORY

Q.1. Select the best option/answer and fill in the appropriate box on the Answer Sheet. (20)

(i) In Shakespeare’s Tragedies Character is not Destiny but there is Character and Destiny is a remark by:
(a) Nicoll
(b) Goddord
(c) Bradley
(d) Coleridge
(e) None of these

(ii) “How came he dead? I shall not be juggled with: To hell allegiance! Vows, to the blackest devil!
Is a speech in Hamlet spoken by:
(a) Hamlet
(b) Laertes
(c) Polonius
(d) Claudius
(e) None of these

(iii) Aspect of the Novel is written by:
(a) David Cecil
(b) Walter Allen
(c) Arnold Kettle
(d) E.M. Forster
(e) None of these

(iv) Lotos Eaters is a poem by:
(a) Browning
(b) Tennyson
(c) Yeats
(d) Frost
(e) None of these

(v) ‘The Hollow Men’ is written by:
(a) T.S. Eliot
(b) Ezra Pound
(c) Yeats
(d) Larkin
(e) None of these

(vi) William Faulkner was awarded Nobel Prize for literature in:
(a) 1949
(b) 1950
(c) 1951
(d) 1953
(e) None of these

(vii) G.B. Shaw was awarded Nobel Prize for literature in:
(a) 1925
(b) 1929
(c) 1930
(d) 1949
(e) None of these

(viii) ‘The Winding Stair’ is written by:
(a) Ted Hughes
(b) T.S. Eliot
(c) W.B. Yeats
(d) W.H. Auden
(e) None of these

(ix) ‘Murder in the Cathedral’ is a play written by:
(a) Shakespeare
(b) Marlowe
(c) Oscar Wilde
(d) T.S. Eliot
(e) None of these

(x) ‘The Rainbow’ is a novel written by:
(a) Hemingway
(b) Virginia Woolf
(c) E.M. Forster
(d) D.H. Lawrence
(e) None of these

(xi) The earliest play written by Shakespeare according to Oxford Shakespeare 1988 is:
(a) The Taming of the Shrew
(b) As you Like it
(c) Two Gentlemen of Verona
(d) Titus Andronicus
(e) None of these

(xii) ‘If music be the food of love, play on,
give me excess of it, that Surfeiting
The appetite may sicken and die?
is a speech from
(a) Twelfth Night
(b) A Mid Summer Nights’ Dream
(c) As you Like it
(d) The Winters’ Tale
(e) None of these

(xiii) An elaborate classical form in which one Shepherd – Singer laments the death of another is called:
(a) Pastoral Romance
(b) Pastoral Elegy
(c) Ballad
(d) Epic
(e) None of these

(xiv) The poets who believe that a hard, clear image was essential to verse are called:
(a) Imaginists
(b) Romanticists
(c) Classicists
(d) Imagists
(e) None of these

(xv) A figure of speech which contains an exaggeration for emphasis is called:
(a) Over tone
(b) Rhetoric
(c) Extended metaphor
(d) Hyperbole
(e) None of these

(xvi) Rhymed decasyllables, nearly always in iambic Pentameters rhymed in Pairs are called:
(a) Heroic Couplet
(b) Blank verse
(c) Terza Rima
(d) Spenserian stanza
(e) None of these

(xvii) An exhortatory speech, usually delivered to a crowd to incite them to some action is:
(a) Declamation
(b) Sermon
(c) Monologue
(d) Harangue
(e) None of these

(xviii) ‘Hearing’ a colour or ‘Seeing’ a smell is an example of:
(a) Oxymoron
(b) Synaesthesia
(c) Sensuousness
(d) Contrast
(e) None of these

(xix) Drama which seeks to mirror life with the utmost fidelity is called:
(a) Realistic
(b) Naturalistic drama
(c) Humanistic drama
(d) Problem play
(e) None of these

(xx) When Leontes discovers the identity of Perdita in ‘The Winter’s Tale’ is an example of:
(a) Peripety
(b) Suspense
(c) revelation
(d) Discovery
(e) None of these

PART – II

(i) SECTION-I & SECTION-II are to be attempted on the separate Answer Book.
(ii) Attempt ONLY FOUR questions. Select TWO from each SECTION. All questions carry EQUAL marks.
(iii) Extra attempt of any question or any part of the attempted question will not be considered.

SECTION – I

Q.2. “The time is out of joint! O cursed Sprite
That ever I was born to set it right.”
Explain why Hamlet feels so. (20)

Q.3. In Beckett’s play Waiting for Godot the pattern for waiting is an ingenious combination of expectations and let downs, of uncertainty and of gradual run down without end. How far do you agree with this view? (20)

Q.4. “Liza Doolittle transforms herself by Knocking Higgins off his god-like perch”. Do you agree? Substantiate your answer? (20)

Q.5. “Gulliver himself is a touchstone, a standard, a reporting agent, but he is not a person”. Explain and discuss with reference to Gulliver’s Travels. (20)

SECTION – II

Q.6. “Poem begin in delight and end in wisdom and deep understanding.” Discuss in the light of this Frost- Statement The Tuft of Flowers and Mending Wall. (20)

Q.7. “Here is a limited world; but she interprets it with the penetrating insight of the creative artist”. Discuss this remark about Jane Austen in the light of Pride and Prejudice. (20)

Q.8. Stock says of ‘The Second Coming’ that in this poem Yeats sets his own age in the perspective of eternity and condenses a whole philosophy of history into it so that it has the force of Prophecy’. Discuss. (20)