khalid is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I am pasting two post earlier sent by M.A. Malik and
Attique-ur-Rahman:
( PMS OFFICER )

Quote:

Confusion of PCS & PMS

Dear Ali,
Many a times PMS exam is confused with PCS. Please note that the former Provincial Civil Service (PCS) is no longer in practice and has now been replaced with a comparatively new and much better service known as PMS (Provincial Management Service). In its first batch out of many thousand candidates who physically appeared in the examination 48 candidates qualified the written Combined Competitive Examination, 2005 of PPSC against 81 seats. Out of these 48 candidates 37 were finally recommended by PPSC after the interviews. These lucky 37s will be joining their professional training at Management and Professional Development Department (MPDD), Lahore as the first batch of PMS by mid April, 2006.

Following facts are important to clear the minds of the intending candidates;

1. The Governor of the Punjab announced the Punjab Provincial Management Service Rules, 2004 by repealing the following rules
(i) The West Pakistan Secretariat (Section Officers) Service Rules, 1962
(ii) The West Pakistan Deputy Secretaries Recruitment Rules, 1963, and
(iii) The Punjab Extra Assistant Commissioners Recruitment Rules, 1992

2. In PMS, officers can move from field to secretariat and secretariat to field which did not happen in PCS

3. PMS probationers will be joining a newly established Management and Professional Development Department (MPDD) instead of the former Punjab Institute of Human Resource Development for PCS probationers for their training

4. MPDD will be imparting training to PMS probationers with improved training modules using the modern techniques of training and with a longer training period of about 32 weeks (8 months)

5. The posts offered for PMS are of diverse administrative scope (details available in an earlier post to Mr. Munir of the same forum)

6. ex-PCS and ex-PSS (Punjab Secretariat Services) officers will also be inducted in PMS regarding sharing of posts

In addition to the above mentioned facts more input from the PMS probationers after they join their service will be highly appreciated.

Quote:

Promotion of PMS Officers

Dear Khalid,
Indeed a PMS Officer can become the secretary of any department during his service track. You can please go through the grade wise divsion of PMS posts in an earlier mail of mine to the same forum. However, it takes comparatively more time than DMG for promotion to 18 scale i.e. minimum 7 to 8 years (in some cases it took even more than that); but as this is the 1st Batch of PMS officers with many improvements in their service structure we are hopeful they ll fight for their promotion time period from some plateform like the DMG Officers Association may be called as PMS Officers Association or any other name they find suitable.

Following is an extract form The Tribune, Chandigarh, India dated Aug 7, 2003

Govt to start elite civil service

LAHORE: The Punjab government is all set to lay the foundation of an elite civil service in the province on the pattern of defunct District Management Group (DMG). To be called the Provincial Management Service (PMS), the draft of rules and regulations have been finalised and sent to Law Department for wetting.

The initial induction in PMS would be through Punjab Public Service Commission as Deputy District Officer (DDO) in BS-17. The DDO would work as Section Officer if transferred to the Punjab Civil Secretariat. The DDO would be promoted as District Officer (DO) after a stipulated period and would work as Deputy Secretary if transferred to Civil Secretariat. Similarly, the DO would become EDO after promotion and then District Coordination Officer (DCO) towards the end of his service.

The need to introduce new management service was necessitated after the dismantling of the offices of Assistant Commissioner (AC) and Deputy Commissioner (DC) at the district level as a result of the devolution plan. — The Nation

Quote:
Promotion Structure of PMS

Dear Khalid ,

First of all thanks on congratulating me on my succcess.As for as promotion structure of PMS is concerned , it is an improved and challenging one.I am calling it challenging because authorities have changed it a lot.Inprevious set up all promotions were made on seniority.Now the new setup is as follow : -

From 17 to 18 :- After 5 year service on " seniority-cum-fitness "
From 18 to 19 :- After 12 year service 5 + 7 on " Selection on Merit "

From 19 to 20 :- After 17 years service 5 + 7 + 5 on " Selectio on
Merit "
From 20 t0 21 :- After 22 year service 5 + 7 + 5 + 5 on " Selection
omn Merit "
Now I will define seniority cum fitness and selection on merit : -

Seniority cum Fitness : -- Seniotity is quiet clear.Finess means Five ACRs.
These ACRs must be of A grade without any
adverse coments.

Selection on Merit : -- No concept of seniority is involved.Officer having
good ACRs,efficient track record,Passing
mandatory course and exam.

Previously Section officers took 7 to 9 years for first promotion and EACs took around 12 years.Now it is a better structure.Our batch is the first one so the clear cut idea will errupt when we will complete 5 year service om May 15 , 2011 .I do hope that I will see it in a mature shape.

As for as comparison between DMG and PMS is concerned , PMS enjoys much better status now.Situation will be quiet clear when we will get posting after trainingin January 2007.

In new structure a PMS officer can be Secretary to provincial government in any department.In 21 a PMS officer can be posted as Additional Chief Secretary.In new rules this seat is for PMS Officers.I will post detailed list of available posts against all grades with in few days.

Regards.

Attique-ur-Rahman
( PMS OFFICER )

hope it helps
Regards....

Last edited by Amna; Tuesday, June 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM.