View Single Post
Old Saturday, May 08, 2010
38th CTP (FSP)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2009 - Merit  48

Muqeet Asim will become famous soon enough

Fellows I am so sorry that I ve been a bit late in sharing my interview experience.
Here it goes:
My interview lasted about 30 minutes and was mainly focused on three things:
1. my optional subjects
2. my personality
3. the group of my preference.
There were general questions as well reagrding Inflation, ASEAN, Shanghai Cooperation Organisation etc.
While asking about my optional subjects, the panel asked following questions:
Int. Law: What is the jurisdiction of ICJ?
Arabic: What are the significant charecteristic of Arabic Culture?
Questions regarding language and history of Arabs.
What do you mean by Islamic Culture?
Journalism: Investigative journalism and Watergate Scandal?
Punjabi: What do you enjoyed the most while reading Punjabi?
They didn’t ask about Muslim Law (hope my score isn’t too low…)
They even asked me from IndoPak history about the war of independence and treatment meted out to the last Mughal emperor.
They particularly grilled me on the issue of Ideology of Pakistan. Though I am hopeful that my answers were satisfactory. They even compared Bangladeshi secularism in politics with our so called Islamic passion in politics to which I replied that Islamic concept of statehood is essentially secular and based on meritocracy and if Bangladesh avows to be secular it doesn’t mean that they are going to legalise gay marriages and pork and liquor will be sold openly. Secularism in politics should not be confused with anti-religiosity.
At this point I was asked that if I wouldn’t mind if Pakistan gets a non-Muslim head of state?
I replied that personally I will have no problem if the person is competentenough. I further wanted to say that though it is practically impossible as Pakistan has almost 100% Muslim population, but I was cut short. (this was the lowest point of my interview as I believe my answer to be totally unorthodox…)

Further I was asked that if I am given the group of my choice, what would I like to do, what “novelty” I would bring to the service?
I replied that I will identify myself with the people of the area of my posting. I will learn their language and respect their culture and would interact with them on personal level. I criticised the “aloofness” of officers of DMG. This is exactly why almost all the groups of civil services (and now even PMS) are dissatisfied with DMG.
On this I was asked to quote an example where DMG’s officers didn’t interact with people?
I gave the example of FATA which has been under the sway of political agents (essentially DMGians). But no policy for the development of the area or people was ever devised. Main Reason: DMGians never bothered to understand the culture or mental make-up of the people and didn’t devise strategies accordingly.

Next there were questions regarding my personality traits, my facvourite book and personality, my interests and future plans.

The third member once again grilled me on the subject of Ideology of Pakistan and the political set-up(I never pretended to be scolar or something but i was treated as if i was expert on the topic ). I hope my answers were satisfactory.

With the grace of God, no question was dropped and my answers were mainly sensible, the exception being my answer that I would not have a problem if a non-Muslim becomes the head of state(but I wasn’t allowed to complete my answer!!!)
Eager (Saturday, December 10, 2011), kashifilyas (Wednesday, January 26, 2011), Muhammad humayun (Sunday, May 30, 2010), naila kanval (Tuesday, May 11, 2010), s malik (Saturday, July 31, 2010), Shooting Star (Sunday, May 09, 2010), The Manager (Monday, May 10, 2010)