View Single Post
Old Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Thanked 1,143 Times in 374 Posts
DEADLYDOCTOR is just really niceDEADLYDOCTOR is just really niceDEADLYDOCTOR is just really niceDEADLYDOCTOR is just really nice
Default Physics Paper 2010

Physics Paper 2010
Paper 1
Part II

Q.2 a) define a scalr field,obtain an expression for the Gradient of a scalar field. Why the gradient of a scalar field is vector?

b) Given phi (x,y,z) = X2yz3 (x square y z cube)
find grad at phi (1,2,1)

c) for what values of 'a' ,the vector A = 2i+aj+k and B= 4i -2j-2k are perpendicular.

Q.3 a) Distinguish between Linear and Angular momentum. Explain the law of conservation of angular momentum. Prove that the Angular momentum is constant in the absence of external torque.

b) The angular momentum J ps a particle is given as kj = 8 t powers 4 i- 2 t square j + 12 t cube k. find the torque at t=1

Q.4 a) Discuss in detail the relativity of mass, time and length.
b) What is time dilation? Explain with example.
c) When we say that a clock in moving frame runs slower than a clock in a stationary frame. What does it mean?

Q.5 a) Differentiate between streamline and turbulent motion of a liquid.
b)What is" coefficient of viscosity"? Explain in detail the Stoke's Law applicable in determining the coefficient of viscosity of a viscous liquid experimentally.
c) Why do auto manufactures recommend using different viscosities of engine oil in cold and hot climate,

Q.6 a) what is polarization of light? Explain Polarization by reflection and obtain Brewstar Law. Also explain the idea of double reflection.
b) We wish to use a Quartz sheet (n=1.54) in air as polarizer. Find the polarizing angle and angle of refraction.

Q.7 a) Define internal energy. State and explain First and Third laws of thermodynamics.
b) what is heat engine ?Determine the efficiency of the engine if it takes 10,000 J of heat and delivers 2000 J of work per cycle.

Q.8 write note on any TWO:
i) centre of mass
ii) diffraction grating and Resolving Power
iii)Production of low temperature.
Ayesha Mahmood (Monday, May 24, 2010), ravaila (Sunday, August 28, 2011)