View Single Post
Old Tuesday, June 29, 2010
42nd CTP (PSP)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2013 - Merit 62

umarabbas has a spectacular aura aboutumarabbas has a spectacular aura aboutumarabbas has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraj narejo View Post
thank you sir

The aerodynamic V shape reduces the air resistance, allowing the geese to cover longer distances.
why sound travels in the form of cone (Vshaped) because in air this is the path which provides least resistance.
dear siraj...that's exactly my point...your argument holds true about the geese structure..for example they have a large span for wings so that uplift is more....but flying in a V pattern will not reduce their individual drag...they will all face the same resistance from the air..

similarly a bullet is shaped (somewhat like a V) or a cone....because it's structure will then draw lesser drag from the air!!!..

let's assume if the planes have an aerodynamic shape (F-16 for example) it is so designed to reduce the drag on it...so the drag will only increase with speed and will not be affected whether the plane flies in a V formation or column or row formation!!! the drag remains the same at the same speed...

yes in a box formation you can say, that the exhaust fumes of the preceding planes will increase the drag for those following it....