View Single Post
Old Tuesday, June 29, 2010
40th CTP (PG)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 664

striver will become famous soon enoughstriver will become famous soon enough

why some detergents include live microbes?

Some biological organisms help break down the organic compounds. For example, in sewerage treatment plants, we often determine BOD (Biochemical oxygen Demand) to sustain the biological organisms.

if i drop from the tower of pisa a kilo of wool and also a kilo of iron. which will hit the land first? first think then reply?

If you donot neglect the air resistance, a kilo of iron would drop fairly quickly than the kilo of wool.

what should be increased to make float a drowning body? (its length, width or height) and why?

Its length and width both. By floating I presume you mean float over the surface of water and not 'suspended'. For suspension, height must also be considered.

if we allow DC current to flow from electric wires what will happen? (normally AC current flows through them)

Voltage transformation (in transformers that we often see) would not be possible. This is another question, why we need transformation of volatege. Power is the multiple of voltage and current, and we require a specific power rating for operation of any equipment. Higher current generates higher losses in the wire there, for transmission, we prefer higher voltages (read about high tension power lines). But at user end, we need to tone down this voltage and for that we need transformers.
P.S: There are other reasons for using AC electricity too!

manual qulfi makers add salt to ice? why do they do this?

Adding any impurity lowers the melting point. For example, adding salt to ice would drag its melting point lower. Imagine ice is at -3 degree C and its melting point is 0 C (assumping its distilled or deionized water). Now, if you add salt, it would drag the melting point to -1 C which would be reached sooner than 0 C as the temperature of ice increases. And we all know why we would like to have melting quicker when making ice, right?

how X rays can be used to check diamond purity? how

A Phenomenon prevalent in industry called X-Ray Diffraction! In principle, X-rays bounce off the lattice of the crystal of diamond and are recorded. However, any change in lattice (caused by any impurity) would be readily observed as the intensity of reflected wave decreases.

can we increase the speed of light? if yes then how .plz think then reply(i dont need the ans. NO)

No. I'll tell you something interesting. Suppose you are travelling on a moving car and throw a ball outside in the direction you are moving. The total speed of ball will be the speed of your car AND the speed of light, right? For light, it doesn't work like this as proven by the theory of relativity. VERY INTERESTING. I strongly suggest you study theory of relativity to get some insight into this phenomenon.

why can we not cut the diamonds?(normaly)

Diamond is the hardest NATURALLY occuring material followed by boron nitrides and boron carbides. However, artificial material like diamond nano rods are available which are harder than diamonds.
siraj narejo (Tuesday, June 29, 2010)