View Single Post
Old Sunday, August 15, 2010
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Sociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to all
Default Can I Call Myself "Plain Muslim" ?

This is a questions to all members, especially those having good knowledge of Islam.
I happen to visit some websites where i found many newly converted Muslim belonging to USA/Europe. They like to call themselves as "Plain Muslim" when somebody ask them about the school of thought they belong to. They dont like to call themselves as "sunni muslim" "Shia Muslim" or "Salfi" and feel satisfied as just a muslim !
I am wondering if these people can call themselves as "Plain Muslim" ..... means dont belong to any particular school of thought, cannot other muslim like us can call overselves just as MUSLIMS ? Or is it mandatory to attach oneself with a particular school of thought? And if it is mandatory to be in a school of thought, then what is the status of these converted muslims who are found all over the world and practice Basic Islamic teachings, like Namaz, Roza, Haj, Zakat but dont belong to any school of thought.