View Single Post
Old Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Thanked 1,572 Times in 792 Posts
Invincible has much to be proud ofInvincible has much to be proud ofInvincible has much to be proud ofInvincible has much to be proud ofInvincible has much to be proud ofInvincible has much to be proud ofInvincible has much to be proud ofInvincible has much to be proud of

Business English Expressions

1. 800 pound gorilla - the biggest, most powerful group or company
Example: "If we follow our plan to make this new software, we're going to have a lot of competition, including from the 800 pound gorilla, Microsoft."

2. (a rising tide that) lifts all boats - something that helps all people or all groups
Example: "We're only number three, but the current economic growth will lift all boats, so we're sure to make a profit this year."

3. an old hand - a person who has long experience, especially in one place
Example: "He can help us set up a new company. He's been working in this industry for many years and knows the language of business - he's really an old hand at this."

4. at the 11th hour - very late, at the very last minute
Example: "The negotiated until late at night and it seemed they would never agree. Finally, at the 11th hour, they came to an agreement."

5. on a shoestring - with limited money
Example: "They started their company on a shoestring and built it up to one of the largest companies in the world!"

6. bring to the table - whatever you can possibly offer
Example: "I will meet with Teacher Joe's new company to show him what we can bring to the table."

7. carve out a niche - find a special market that you can control
Example: "To succeed in this competitive world, you have to focus on part of it. Try to carve out a niche and be number one in that are."

8. deep pockets - have a lot of money
Example: "If there is a price war, we won't win because we don't have deep enough pockets."

9. down time - when equipment of facilities are not available, so you cannot work
Example: "There will probably be a lot of down time at the conference, so I'm bringing a lot of paperwork."

10. (draw) a line in the sand - make final conditions that cannot be changed
Example: "We have to draw a line in the sand so they will see that this is really our final offer."

11. free ride - get benefit at no cost
Example: "Of course we should make them pay for our travel expenses. WHy should we give them a free ride?"

12. from day one - from the beginning
Example: "Teacher Joe has been providing the best English-learning web site from day one!"

13. get your foot in the door - have a small opportunity that can become a big opportunity in the future, if you do good work
Example: "Right now, I just want to get my foot in the door, so they can see what I can do. Next year I hope to start moving up in the company."

14. I need it yesterday - an informal way to say it is needed immediately
Example: "Can I send that report to you later this afternoon?"
"No! I need that report yesterday!"

15. a two-way street - both people or both groups can contribute or benefit from the situation
Example: "We want to help you, but we need your help too. It should be a two-way street."

16.fly - it won't be successful
Example: "We don't have to worry about their idea competing with ours. It will never fly."

17. it's a jungle out there - it's a difficult market with many, tough competitors
Example: "Do you think a new company can survise without a unique product? It's a real jungle out there!"

18. jump through hoops - trying very hard (like a dog doing tricks!)
Example: "He's a tough boss. All of his subordinates have to jump through hoops to prove their loyalty to the company."

19. put your cards on the table - be completely honest
Example: "I think it's time to put all of our cards on the table. Here's what we need..."

20. learning curve - how much time needed to learn something new
Example: "This new software has a long learning curve, so we have to give our staff enough time to learn how to use it well."

Regards,
asmapices (Wednesday, September 15, 2010), madiha alvi (Wednesday, November 20, 2013), Maroof Hussain Chishty (Tuesday, August 24, 2010), RJ STYLE (Sunday, November 24, 2013), rooshni (Tuesday, October 25, 2011), sikander marri (Tuesday, October 25, 2011)