View Single Post
Old Wednesday, September 06, 2006
34th Commons (PAAS)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: Qamar Riaz.........Merit 124....Audit and Account--CSS 2005Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

QamarCheema is a jewel in the roughQamarCheema is a jewel in the roughQamarCheema is a jewel in the rough
Default Jinnah Continued

When Jinnah disagreed to something, he carried a logical way of thinking behind it and he never went for impulsive decisions in his life and yet only time proved him enormously right. Strong judgment through analytical examination of political scenarios was his hallmark. Replying to Ghandi’s offer to join Congress in movement against British in the wake of Khilafat Movement in 1920 he wisely put pen to paper in his letter,
If by “New Lifeyou mean your method and programme, I am afraid I can not accept them; for I am fully convinced that it must lead to disaster………..and your extreme programme has for the moment struck the imagination mostly of the inexperienced youth and the ignorant and illiterate. All this means complete disorganization and chaos. ………but I for one am convinced that the present policy of Government is the primary cause of it all and unless that cause is removed, the effects must continue. I have no voice or power to remove the cause [very honestly]; but at the same time I do not wish my countrymen to be dragged to the brink of a precipice in order to be shattered.”[1]

Only leader like Jinnah could have shown statesmanship of soaring quality whereas other congress leaders begged third-rate fame from deeply struck masses for their own political means.

As things after a particular event becomes tainted with the shadows of legends and it becomes very difficult to separate the doubtless sands from skeptical marshes of human exaggerations and speculations dig in. Be careful in 1920s there was no question of Pakistan yet and not even a remote possibility of any Pakistan was there in the minds of three players of triangular political chess each of them moving his pawns carefully to save the bacon. So was Jinnah, a flourishing lawyer who was seeking his career in politics in his early forties but not through conventional moves but through his principles.
The Pakistan movement, wrote Wolpert,

“and its singular impact on recent Indian history have tended to obscure Jinnah’s positive contributions to the evolution of parliamentary government in India.”

He actually fought for the justifiable rights of his nation. But he never scarified his principles before the altar of his nation’s interests and he remained a great civilian libertarian, always outspoken in the defense of individual rights and equal justice. And his principles were not at any moment clashed with the teachings of his faith though they might be at difference with a conventional mullah of that time. As he was stunned at the “Fatwa” of leaving India and to move Afghanistan would be a great service to Islam, he resisted to this and religious factions termed him speaker of Government and betrayer to his faith. But there was no question of someone’s faith since Islam portrayed by these so-called Mullahs could be the true Islam? According religious proceedings of that time Islam was only defined through Saying Prayers, Beard, and suppressing woman, and frankly speaking in our times it still stands there.

Whereas Jinnah’s personality is a true picture of a great man whose principles of being Honest, Trustworthy, Brave, Educated, and a Lawful citizen who always spoke not for his nation but for great humanity always according to teachings of Islam.

Sir,”Jinnah insisted, on behalf of readmitting the deported editor of the Bombay Chronicles, B.G.Horniman,

I do maintain, and I have drunk deep at the fountain of constitutional law, that the liberty of the man is the dearest thing in the law of any constitution and it should not be taken away in this fashion………I speak very feelingly, because no man should be deported and certainly not on such fabricated allegations as there, which, to my knowledge, are absolutely false.”[2]

And when he saw that people in the business were not playing fair he instead of distorting his own principles he simply withdrew himself from dirty game of politicians.

References:
  • [1]Saiyid, “Jinnah” pp 264-265
    [2]
    M.Rafique Afzal, Quid-i-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah: Speeches in the Legislative Assembly of India, 1924-1930 (Lahore: Research Society of Pakistan, 1976), page xxi
To be continued..........

Qamar

Last edited by Last Island; Monday, October 19, 2009 at 09:50 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to QamarCheema For This Useful Post:
Faryaz (Monday, February 02, 2009), greenhorn (Friday, February 18, 2011), ihs (Wednesday, November 07, 2007), Last Island (Monday, October 19, 2009), mastspidy (Friday, February 10, 2012)