View Single Post
Old Sunday, December 12, 2010
40th CTP (DMG)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 73Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Thanked 2,480 Times in 622 Posts
redmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud of

A sane voice

Senior Vice President of the Awami National Party, Bushra Gohar, is a vibrant and articulate politician known for her unambiguous opinion on matters most politicians tend to avoid. Member National Assembly, Gohar hails from Swabi, Pakhtunkhwa. She is also Chair of the Standing Committee on Women’s Development. Gohar has once again taken an unequivocal stance by refusing to sit on the proverbial political fence and has moved a bill for the repeal of the Blasphemy Law.

In an interview with The News on Sunday, Gohar expresses concern over the statement of the minister for minority, Shahbaz Bhatti, on amending the law instead of repealing it and regrets the politically expedient factor reserved in it.

Gohar has also moved bills for Child Rights and Protection, Pakistan Citizenship, and the Prevention and control of Women Trafficking. Following are excerpts from the interview:

By Shehar Bano Khan

The News on Sunday (TNS): What prompted you to move for the repeal of Blasphemy Law in the National Assembly?

Bushra Gohar (BG): It has been a longstanding commitment of the human rights activists and progressive political parties in the country. I have also actively struggled for the repeal of all discriminatory laws, including the blasphemy law. These laws were made a part of the statute books during the Zia era with malafide intent, mainly to appease a handful of religious extremists in the country in order to secure support for his illegitimate government. These laws are in contradiction to Islam, our constitution, and national and international commitments. The amendments to the blasphemy provisions in the PPC have allowed religious zealots to go ahead with their extremist agenda disregarding the essential requirement of malicious intention in any criminal offense. In the present state, the blasphemy laws in Pakistan can easily be misused and practical instances testify this horrible fact. Decades have passed since the black law was enacted but none of the governments that followed found the strength or courage to repeal the discriminatory laws that contributed significantly to intolerance, violence, bigotry, hate and injustice in the country.

As the country struggles with challenges of extremism, militancy, and intolerance, I felt it was important now more than ever to make concerted efforts to ensure a level-playing field for citizens irrespective of their caste, creed, colour, and religion. It is unfortunate that in Pakistan the mere mention of taking up laws promulgated by a dictator in the name of religion is tantamount to blasphemy. I felt by submitting the bill I would give strength and courage to other members who too have long struggled against Zia’s black laws and would come forward and submit amendments. I submitted the bill for repeal hoping that it would initiate a meaningful debate within the Parliament. It is important that a Parliamentary Committee is formed to review all laws promulgated by dictators to further their illegitimate rule.

TNS: Were you supported by the minister for minorities, Shahbaz Bhatti?

BG: I didn’t seek or require his support as I don’t consider the matter to be only a minorities’ issue. It is more a constitutional and human rights issue. The ministry of minorities has a weak and poor record of safeguarding religious minorities’ rights and is nothing more than a window dressing with no substantial role in any policy making regarding minorities in the country. It has not played a pro-active role within and outside the parliament to evolve a consensus on equal citizen’s status for minorities, mainly religious minorities, in the constitution through the 18th amendment. Instead of removing the limitation in the constitution on a minority becoming a head of state, through the 18th amendment even the prime minister is now required to be a Muslim citizen. The Awami National Party (ANP) is the only party that has put a note of reiteration on both these clauses reaffirming its commitment to removing such discriminatory clauses. The party believes that as citizens, minorities have equal rights, which include elections to any statutory position in the country.

Shahbaz Bhatti has at best only given lip service to the myriad issues faced by religious minorities. On several occasions he made commitments to amend the Blasphemy Law and/or procedures but we have not seen anything of substance from him and don’t expect anything worthwhile in the near future.

I don’t understand why we have a ministry of minorities and a ministry of religious affairs with both working on matters related to religion and doing a terrible job in ensuring religious freedom, harmony and rights as ensured in the Constitution. I feel we should not have a ministry merely on the basis of religion as the rights of all other minorities in the country are invariably compromised.

TNS: Now that the minister has categorically stated that there shall be no repeal and only amendments to the law, will you withdraw your demand?

BG: I am deeply concerned at the statement made by Bhatti as it is not based on any consensus built within the parliament or the government. This could be his personal position and he has not taken any of the coalition partners or civil society on board. I don’t see why I would change my position on the basis of a politically expedient position taken by the minister of minorities.

TNS: Coming from an area like Swabi were you not deterred by conservative elements in demanding for abolition?

BG: I have been part of a long struggle for human rights in the country and have always been ready for the worst consequences. The people of Swabi were at the forefront of Fakhre Afghan Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan’s struggle for freedom against the British and later for equal rights and provincial autonomy. I don’t believe any major opposition to the proposed bill will come from Swabi as the majority of the people are politically aware and uphold democratic norms.

TNS: Do you think your demand could adversely affect the ANP?

BG: The proposed bill is in line with the ANP’s longstanding commitments articulated in its election manifesto.

TNS: As a woman, are you comfortable sitting in the parliament?

BG: I have never felt inhibited or uncomfortable at any public forum because of my strong convictions and commitments.

TNS: Do you think you have reached your glass ceiling or being a member of the National Assembly is just a beginning to achieve your objectives?

BG: The National Assembly is only a means and not an end for me. It is, in fact, just a beginning of a long struggle that lies ahead if we are to see strengthening of democratic processes, social justice, and human rights in the country.

TNS: Where do you place yourself in terms of policy-making in ANP?

BG: The Awami National Party is the only political party that has women as equal members at all levels and has not boxed them in some odd wings. As Central Vice President of the party, I am an integral part of the party’s policy and decision-making. I am also a member of the party’s think tank where matters of national importance are reviewed on a regular basis.

TNS: What is your role as chairperson on Women’s Development for the National Assembly’s Standing Committee?

BG: National Assembly Standing Committees are a constitutional body within the Federal Government. Standing Committees provide legislative guidance and oversight to the relevant ministry as per the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business of the National Assembly.

As Chair of the Standing Committee on Women’s Development, my primary responsibility is to review, examine, and propose amendments to any Bill pertaining to Women’s Rights, Empowerment, Welfare and Development referred to the Standing Committee by the National Assembly. So far, two major bills, i.e., Domestic Violence Bill and Harassment at Workplace, among others, were reviewed by the Committee and sent back to the National Assembly with recommendations. The Committee regularly examines all other related ministries’ project commitments, budgets, policies, and procedures and gives recommendations. The Committee has taken up important public petitions pertaining to harassment at workplace in major public sector institutions.

TNS: Which other bills have you moved in the National Assembly?

BG: These are: Child Rights and Protection Act, 2010, Pakistan Citizenship (Amendment) Act, 2010, and Prevention and control of Women Trafficking Act, 2010.

TNS: Is there a supporting strategy to implement them?

BG: All the above proposed bills have been tabled in the National Assembly and except for the Child Rights and Protection Act, 2010, which was deferred because the ministry wanted to bring its own bill, all others have been sent to the relevant Standing Committees for review. The bill for Promotion of Minority Rights, Religious Tolerance and Inter-faith Harmony Act, 2010 (Repeal of Blasphemy Law) has yet to be tabled in the National Assembly.

TNS: Are you lobbying to replicate the formation of the Women Parliamentarian Caucus in Pakistan on the South Asian level?

BG: We have initiated a process of forming a Women’s Parliamentary Caucus at the South Asian regional level. The Speaker National Assembly, Ms Fehmida Mirza, who is patron of the Women’s Parliamentary Caucus, has been leading the process.

TNS: Could you explain why does the ANP not have an intra-party women’s wing?

BG: The ANP considers women as equal members with equal space and opportunity at all levels within the party. This doesn’t mean that women members in the party cannot have their own organising forum to debate and discuss issues specific to them before bringing them to mainstream decision-making forums. The party women members have held women conventions, conferences, and an all-women jirga on peace and security. Protracted dictatorships, conservatism, religious extremism, and terrorism have left women’s political participation weak not only within the party but throughout the country. Under the leadership of Asfandyar Wali Khan, the ANP has focused on bringing women members at par within the party. Wings are retrogressive and end up marginalising women’s participation within the party.

TNS: Is that not contrary to your nomination as a member of the National Assembly on a reserved seat?

BG: Membership in a women’s wing is not a prerequisite for election to a National Assembly seat reserved for women. Once elected to the National Assembly, all members are equal. I don’t see any contradiction. I, however, feel that there should be a review of the Political Parties Act to improve the process of election on reserved seats.