View Single Post
Old Saturday, December 18, 2010
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: Css 2010

Thanked 1,291 Times in 524 Posts
Viceroy is a splendid one to beholdViceroy is a splendid one to beholdViceroy is a splendid one to beholdViceroy is a splendid one to beholdViceroy is a splendid one to beholdViceroy is a splendid one to behold
Default RememberingI.A. Khan - Nuzhat Rahman

September 8, 2002

RememberingI.A. Khan

By Nuzhat Rahman

I.A. Khan was a member of the erstwhile Indian Civil Service (ICS) from the batch of 1939-40. The ICS comprisied of eminent civil servants who rose to the highest ranks in the bureaucracy and judiciary. These included S.S. Jafri, M. Masud (Khadarposh), K.S. Islam and Anwar-ul-Haq (Justice). Like most Muslim ICS officers, I.A. Khan opted for Pakistan serving at the time of partition, as District Magistrate of Murshidabad, a Muslim majority area — which was unfairly given to India. Initially, under the provisional distribution, Murshidabad was declared as part of Pakistan, however in the final announcement it was allotted to India. In fact, I.A. Khan had the rare experience of first hoisting the Pakistani flag and then, quietly in the depth of the night, bringing it down to hoist the Indian flag.

Ikram Ahmed Khan, better known as I.A. Khan was born on the June 1, 1915 at Meerut. His was a family of great nobility. He was the son of Nawab Ismail Khan, a prominent Muslim personality whose cap later came to be known as the ‘Jinnah Cap’. Nawab Ismail, President of UP Muslim League, was himself a dauntless freedom fighter. He was one of the closest associates of Quaid-e-Azam. He twice served as Vice Chancellor of the Aligarh Muslim University. His father, Nawab Ishak Khan, was the fourth successor of Sir Syed Ahmed Khan as the Treasurer/Secretary of the M.A.O College. He himself was the grandson of renowned Urdu and Persian poet Nawab Mustafa Khan Shefta.

Ikram’s early schooling was in Faiz-i-Aam at Meerut and then onto Aligarh in 1930 where he excelled both in studies and sports. He played cricket, hockey and tennis for Aligarh and was also elected to the office of President of the Student Union — a most sought after office for the students at Aligarh. An outstanding student, he graduated with top honours and obtained a First division in BA and First Class First in MA.

As the son of Nawab Ismail Khan, I.A. Khan was privy to the inner circles of the Working Committee of the All India Muslim League. His father made him responsible for the arrangements for the League’s session at Mustafa Castle, besides seeing to the creature comforts of the Quaid-e-Azam and other Muslim leaders.

His professional career started after he joined the elite ICS and completed his training at Cambridge. His first posting was in the Bengal Cadre. The events of the first few years of his career unfolded against the backdrop of the great political drama that led to the creation of Pakistan. I.A. Khan served in Bengal for 18 years in various capacities in Faridpur and District Magistrate Comilla where he was instrumental in setting up the Rural Academy, headed by Dr. Akhtar Hameed Khan. After serving as Secretary, Government of Bengal, I.A. Khan was transferred to West Pakistan in 1955 taking over as Chief Controller of Imports and Exports from Dr I.H. Usmani. He held this position with distinction for five years. Thereafter, I.A. Khan was made leader of Pakistan’s first trade delegation to India, which led to opening of trade between the two countries. Later in 1961, he was again posted back to East Pakistan, this time as Chairman Jute Board, headquartered at Narayanganj, taking over from his batch-mate K.S. Islam.

In 1962, I.A. Khan was selected as a fellow of the Eisenhower Exchange Programme which took him to USA for a year. For I.A. Khan it was rather unexpected to have been picked up from the remote jute centre of Narayanganj. In 1966, he moved to West Pakistan taking over as Secretary Economic Affairs Division from S. Osman Ali. During three years as Secretary, I.A. Khan successfully organized the Colombo Plan Conference at Karachi in 1967. In 1969, after the first bureaucratic reshuffle by President Yahya Khan, I.A. Khan was appointed Chairman WAPDA, taking over from A.G.N. Kazi. As Chairman, he saw through the successful implementation of the country’s largest project, Tarbela Dam.

At the age of 58, I.A. Khan retired honourably in 1973 under the most troubled days of bureaucracy. After retirement, he never sought any other office, nor recognition and distanced himself from active public life. His contributions to Pakistan were recognized when he was awarded the Sitara-i-Quaid-e- Azam in 1958 and Sitara-i-Pakistan in 1969. But these contributions extend beyond the bureaucratic confines.

I.A. Khan’s involvement in cricket and hockey continued long after his Aligarh days — perhaps playing the longest innings as a force behind the development and organization of cricket in Pakistan. In 1967, as Federal Secretary, I.A. Khan was nominated as Manager of the Pakistan cricket team touring England. At the time, his appointment was considered quite unusual for such a high ranking officer. It was later learnt that President Ayub Khan himself made the choice. As Chairman WAPDA in 1969, I.A. Khan took over as President BCCP (now PCB) from Syed Fida Hassan. It was during his tenure that BCCP permanently shifted to Lahore. It was I.A. Khan who appointed A.H. Kardar as the Chairman of the Selection Committee in 1969, thus bringing Kardar back into the cricket fold. Known for his firm grip on matter of discipline, for I.A. Khan the honour of representing Pakistan was supreme, as cricket in those days was still considered a gentleman’s game. He strongly opposed the Kerry Packer adventure. He also took considerable interest in the promotion of Table Tennis at Islamia Club, being a patron and its founding member along with top ICS Officers like Akhtar Hussain, Abbas Khalili, S.M. Yusuf and S.S. Jafri.

Throughout his career, I.A. Khan remained President of various cricket associations and also served as President of Karachi Hockey Association. All along he was a selector of the cricket teams and also served as Chairman of the Selection Committee. While Kafiluddin Ahmed of PWD was instrumental in the establishment of the National Cricket Stadium at Karachi, I.A. Khan played that role in East Pakistan in establishing the Dacca Cricket Stadium. He even designed the emblem of the Cricket Board. He also initiated the Patrons Trophy and the formation of teams such as Karachi Whites and Karachi Blues. I.A. Khan was also a permanent feature of the bygone days of Karachi Gymkhana and a member of its cricket team.

An illustrious career spanning over four decades, whether as Chairman WAPDA, or President BCCP or any other, official or non-official capacity in his long service of devotion and dedication, I.A. Khan gave his best to Pakistan. He appreciated the finer things of life, whether it was the latest English novel or a book of enchanting Urdu poetry, or a piece of music or sports like golf, tennis and of course cricket. He devoted himself as honorary Chairman of Meerut Cooperative Housing Society for as long as twenty years. A selfless man, gentleman to the core, I.A. Khan was an example of grace, dignity and self-respect. He had tremendous style and sartorial grace, he was an epitome of a modern enlightened Muslim, at home with eastern and western culture. He passed away peacefully on Friday 7th September 2001 at Karachi. He is survived by his wife and five children. May his soul rest in eternal peace.
adnan humayun (Friday, November 11, 2011)