View Single Post
Old Wednesday, January 05, 2011
41st CTP (OMG)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2012 Merit 131

aminshah101 has a spectacular aura aboutaminshah101 has a spectacular aura aboutaminshah101 has a spectacular aura about
Question Advice needed from experts to plan career swtich

Hi all,

I hope everyone is going good. Well, I need some advice on the queries pertaining to the issue below

Background

I work in a bank where I was hired as an MTO following details:
  • Salary: 37K
  • Nature of Job: Permanent
  • Timings of Job: Officially 9 - 5 but you know well about bank

Moreover, I had to submit a bond with by bank for 3 years, 1 year of which has been completed. It was agreed by the HR Department that I will be placed in HR/Marketing Department of the Bank. I never wanted to be in Branch Banking.

However, commitments are not honored always and I eventually landed up in Branch Banking; a place I never wanted to be into. Its a risky business to be in. Although mistakes are likely to happen but at this place, indeed 95% of the mistakes are critical. Moreover, I am a family guy who cannot compromise the time of his family on a daily basis.

With no chance of moving into HR/Marketing and all my other family members in Government Service, I decided to opt for the same sector as CSS was once my passion.

I applied and got selected in a Public Sector Organization on a contract based post of BS-17 . The details of this BS-17 post are as follows:
  • Salary: 29500/- (no deductions like PF etc as job is contract based)
  • Very very low chances of car
  • Nature of Job: Contract for 3 years
  • Timings: 8-3 but you well imagine the timings of Public Sector

I have heard few days back that Punjab Govt. is cutting short the adhoc allowance (50% additional Basic Salary). In that case, the salary would be reduced to 24500/- without any deductions of PF etc. Hence, the difference between my bank's salary and this one would be massive.

Keeping this thing in mind, family says that I should stick to banking as the only reasonable places in Government Sector are CSS or at least PMS. Such contract jobs are just a waste. Moreover, if my main aim is CSS/PMS, then there is no need to leave banking before that. Moreover, with me being a married, financial limitations are a reality

On the other hand, I argue that:
  • This is very likely to happen that Punjab Govt would cut down this adhoc allowance
  • Working at this Public Sector job would give me relevant experience which I can use once I become a CSS/PMS Officer
  • Surviving on the salary at this Public Sector job would enable me to adapt in a better way if I get selected as a CSS/PMS Officer
  • This job would not be as risky as banking is

NOW THE 4 DECISIVE QUESTIONS FOR YOU TO ADVISE UPON

1. Given that I do not want to stay in Banking in long run, is this the right time to move out from banking?

2. Given that I intend to make my career in CSS or PMS and I will give all 3 attempts of both (worst cum worst case), which is the better profession to go with?

3. I will turn 28 by the end of 2013 and have submitted my forms for the year 2011 too. Should my attemps be of 2011, 2012 & 2013 or I should forego 2012, 2013 & 2014? (coz by 31 Dec 2013, I would be 28 years old.

4. If in case I clear PMS 2011 and get selected in CSS 2012, can I switch over without any issue?

Please advice at your earliest. Looking forward to your guidance

Last edited by Andrew Dufresne; Wednesday, January 05, 2011 at 08:51 PM.