Thread: Nasir Kazmi
View Single Post
Old Monday, March 28, 2011
SIBGA-TUL-JANAT
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Appreciation

sibgakhan is a jewel in the roughsibgakhan is a jewel in the roughsibgakhan is a jewel in the roughsibgakhan is a jewel in the rough
Default Nasir Kazmi

Nasir Kazmi

Born :Syed Nasir Raza Kazmi
December 8, 1925
Muhalla 'Qazi Wara', the house of his Grandfather (nana) Nayaz Nabi Bin Bu Ali Bakhsh, Kaneez Manzil, Ambala, Punjab, India

Died: March 2, 1972 (aged 46)
Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan

Pen name:Nasir

Occupation: Urdu poet, journalist, staff editor at Radio Pakistan, writer
Nationality: Pakistani

Ethnicity: Urdu speaking

Education: National High School Peshawar, D.B.Middle Schhol Dakshai, Muslim High School Ambala, Islamia College Lahore, Government College Lahore(after partition for sometime).

Genres: Ghazal

Children: Two Sons; Basir Sultan Kazmi & Hassan Sultan Kazmi.

Syed Nasir Raza Kazmi, (1925–1972) (Urdu: سید ناصر رضا كاظمی ) was a renowned Urdu poet of Pakistan. He was one of the greatest poets of this era, especially in the use of "ista'aaray" and "chhotee beher".

Kazmi was born on December 8, 1925 at Ambala in British India. He was educated at Ambala, Simla and Lahore. He returned to Ambala in 1945 and started looking after his ancestral land. After the creation of Pakistan in 1947, he came to Lahore. He did some journalistic work with Auraq-e-Nau as an editor and became editor-in-chief of the magazine Humayun in 1952. Later he was associated with Radio Pakistan, Lahore and other literary publications and organizations.

Nasir Kazmi started his poetic life in 1940 by following the style of Akhtar Sherani and wrote romantic poems and sonnets. Later he began writing ghazals under the guidance of Hafeez Hoshyarpuri. He was a great admirer of Mir Taqi Mir and probably the melancholy and "Ehsaas-e-Mehroomi" in his poetry was a direct result of that. His tutor in poetry was Hafeez Hoshyarpuri, who himself used a lot of symbols from nature in his poems.

'Yaad ke benishan jazerun se
Teri awaz arahi hai abhi...'

Nasir, few days before his death, said in a TV interview by Intezaar Hussain, that 'horse riding, hunting, wandering in a village, walk along the river side, visiting mountains etc. were my favourite pastimes and probably this was the time when my mind got nourishment for loving nature and getting close to the expression of poetry. All my hobbies are related with fine arts, like singing, poetry, hunting, chess, love of birds, love of trees etc... i started poetry because I used to reflect that all the beautiful things those I see, and those in nature are not in my hands, and they go away from me. Few moments, that time which dies, cannot be made alive. I think can be alive in poetry, that is why I(Nasir) started poetry!' Nowadays, very few people may remember that Nasir used to hum his poetic verses and that humming had much attraction in it.
'Phir kaga bola ghar ka suna angan mei
Rut ayi peeley phulun ki, Tum Yad Aye...'

He migrated from Ambala, India to Lahore Pakistan in August 1947. He also worked as a Staff Editor in Radio Pakistan. He used to sit at Tea House and wander at Mall Rd, Lahore with his friends. He was fond of eating, wandering and enjoying life. Normally people take him as a sad poet but most of his poetry is based on romantic happiness and the aspect of hope.

'Yaas mei jab kabhi aansu nikla
Ik nayi aas ka pehlu nikla'

His last four books tragically were published after his death. He died in Lahore on March 2, 1972 due to stomach cancer. Few people know that he did some great translations of English poets, especially his translation of Walt Whitman's "Crossing Brooklyn Ferry" by the title of "Brooklyn Ghaat Ke Paar" is a real masterpiece and worth reading.

Books

Barg-e-Nae (1952)
Deewaan (1972)
Pehli Baarish (1975)
Nishat-e-Khwab (Collection of nazms, 1977)
Sur Ki Chhaya (Manzoom Drama, Katha 1981)
Khushk Chashme ke Kinare (Prose, 1982 edited by Basir Sultan Kazmi & Hassan Sultan Kazmi, New Edition 1990, essays, radio features, dialogues, editorials, last interview etc.)
Nasir Kazmi Ki Dairy (Chand Pareshan Kaghaz) (Autobiography, 1995 compiled by Hassan Sultan Kazmi)
Intekhab-e-Meer (poetry 1989)
Intekhab-e-Nazeer (poetry 1990)
Intekhab-e-Wali Dakni (poetry 1991)
Intekhab-e-Insha (poetry 1991)
'Intekhabs' of other poets

Some of the famous ghazals and nazms of Nasir Kazmi

kaun is raah se guzartaa hai
terii zulfoN ke bikharne kaa sabab hai ko'ii
dukh kii lehar ne chheRaa hogaa
dil meN ek lehar sii uThii hai abhii
naaz-e-be-gaangii meN kyaa kuch thaa
O ! mere masruuf Khudaa
yaas meN jab kabhii aaNsuu niklaa
ko'ii jiye yaa ko'ii mare
be minnat-e-Khizr-e-raah rahnaa
jurm-e-inkaar kii sazaa hii de
jab raat gaye tiri yaad aayii, sau tareh se jii ko behlaaya
tere aane kaa dhokaa saa rahaa hai
tanhaa ishq ke khwaab na bun
fikr-e-taameer-e-aashiaN bhi hai
rang barsaat ne bhare kuch to
kise dekhein kahaaN dekha na jaye
karta use beqarar kuch der
wo dil nawaz hai lekin nazar shanaas nahi
Neeyat e shauq bhar na jaye kahiin

Source : Nasir Kazmi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by sibgakhan; Monday, March 28, 2011 at 10:56 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sibgakhan For This Useful Post:
aristocrat of heart (Tuesday, March 29, 2011), Farrah Zafar (Tuesday, March 29, 2011), SYEDA SABAHAT (Tuesday, March 29, 2011)