View Single Post
Old Saturday, June 04, 2011

hadia Khan is on a distinguished road
Default kindly check my precis, i want to be the regular visitor of this section

I know no place where the great truth that no man is necessary is brought home to the mind so remorselessly, and yet so refreshingly, as the house of commons. Over even the greatest reputations it closes with barely a bubble. And yet the vanity of politicians is enormous. Lord Melbourne, when asked his opinion of men, replied, 'Good fellows, but vain very vain'.

There is a great deal of vanity, both expressed and concealed, in the house of commons. I often wonder why, for I cannot imagine a place where men so habitually disregard eache other's feelings, so openly trample on each other's egotisms. You rise to address the Hourse. The speaker calls on you by name. Hardly are you through the first sentence when your oldest friend, your college chum the man you have appointed guardian of your infant children, rises in his place, gives you a stony stare and seizing his hat in his hand, ostentatiously walks out of the House, as much as to say. 'I can stand many things, but not this'. Whilst speaking of the House I have never failed to notice one man, at all events, who was paying me the compliment of the closest attention, who never took his eyes off me, who hung upon my words, on whom everything I was saying seemed to be making the greatest impression. But this solitary auditor is not in the least interested either in me or in my speech, and the only reason why he listens so intently and eyes me so closely is that he has made up his mind to follow me, and is eager to leap to his feet, in the hope of cathcing the speaker's eye the very moment I sit down. Yet for all this vanity thrives in the House - though what it feeds on I cannot say. We are all anxious to exaggerate our own importance, and desperately anxious to make reputations for ourselves and to have our names associated with some subject - to pose as its patron and friend. (317 words)

Precis:
Title: Shrewd House of Commons
House of common is the only place where the great truth reveals that no one stands for each other. Everyone has different point of views and wants to stick on it. The very close friends openly criticize over each other. If someone pays heed, it means the member has to maintain his reputation in speaker’s eyes but not in favor of one’s argument. Near and dear ones have the only aim to build their repute.
The Following User Says Thank You to hadia Khan For This Useful Post:
alpha beta gamma (Sunday, July 06, 2014)