View Single Post
Old Friday, December 22, 2006
Economist In Equilibrium
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: she won the Essay competitionBest Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best ModMember of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: For the year 2006

Qurratulain has a spectacular aura aboutQurratulain has a spectacular aura aboutQurratulain has a spectacular aura about

@eijaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by eijaz
@Qurat
haha .. your reason about electricity makes me to laugh only..
Good sign infact, you know it increases your blood.

Quote:
Well i do remember my university days in 2003 when musharaff came to jamshoro ..There he promised that if sindh has doubts about canals then we will change the design of Dam and we will not build any canal from Kalabagh dam .But it was his mind which changed not the design of Kalabagh dam.

Well, can’t say anything about it, coz I don’t have any idea that what were the rationales behind this strategy of Musharraf. If you please explain this I’ll be quite content.
Quote:
About electricity ,first we have to know about our future requirements and our estimation of total electricity consumption.. Wapda has failed even to make estimation for five years and this year's load shedding is witness of this that WAPDA was not ready to address this problem in time Although pakistan has resources and capacity even now to produce more electricity ..
You are right, that right now pakistan is in the position to produce more electricity. It’s my mistake that I mentioned only ‘electricity production’ in last post, along with this dam is also needed for water storage, and the projects will certainly increase the employment opportunities as well. And as far as technical faults of the project are concerned, they can be altered, but the need of dam construction is also crucial.

Quote:
But i do believe that Kalabagh dam is political issue rather than technical issue .For dams A.N.G abbasi gave reports year ago also . and he described briefly about shortage of water in last 25 years ,pakistan suffered 16 years of shortage. Now if we build kalabagh dam for 25 years then in those years we will fill dam only for 9 years . What will be the use of it?..
See, I’ve mentioned earlier that technical problems can be addressed. And in my opinion, it is technical issue and has been made a political issue. Such shifting of the idea has brought provincial disharmony. I accept that provinces are right at their say when they raise the technical issues, but giving it the political touch is quite unfair. I’m of the opinion that, respective provinces should be given equal participation for structuring a framework which can exclude the technical faults from the project and then the altered plan should be incorporated. This will not only help to boost the economy but also to heal the wounds of disharmony among the provinces.

Quote:
I think better is to invest money in agriculture sector ..It is shame that we call pakistan as agriculture country but we import wheat, onion and potatoes from india ..Saudi arabia export wheat in international market ..Pakistan can not coz according to analyst kalabagh dam is hurdle for this .. but in saudi arabia there is no dam but only scientific methods of cultivation and seeds made this possible for them ..
You are right that, we are in dire need of investment in agricultural sector. But I think this investment should be from FDI. See we have got $3212 million as FDI during 2005-06, out of which $1763million went to telecom sector. I just want to highlight, that luxuries are preferred over consumer goods. I was amazed to see that food & clothing (basic needs) had no share in FDI, and major portion went to telecom and construction. So I think, finances are available for agriculture sector but the effective distribution of them is required.

Quote:
I said Kalabagh dam is political issue now a days than technical.
Yes, but I’ll insist that it has been made so, while it wasn’t political in its originality.

Quote:
coz they knew they are technically wrong and establishment is using this issue time to time to make fool to people of pakistan and pass their hard times. in political front Govt: wants to slip from Hudood ordinance and wants to engage nation with other issues so they will play folk song of kalabagh dam again and i have noticed this in Pervaiz musharaff's recent statments ..
This has always been the strategy of governments, and this is because they’ve no sense of accountability.

Regards,