View Single Post
Old Wednesday, November 16, 2011
40th CTP (FSP)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2012 Merit 101

Thanked 1,691 Times in 640 Posts
Roshan wadhwani is a glorious beacon of lightRoshan wadhwani is a glorious beacon of lightRoshan wadhwani is a glorious beacon of lightRoshan wadhwani is a glorious beacon of lightRoshan wadhwani is a glorious beacon of light

Minerals: Their Functions, Source and Sings Of Deficiency:

1. Calcium:
i) Role:
a) It is essential constituent of bones and teeth.
b) It is vital for metabolic process such as nerve function, muscle contraction, and blood clotting.
ii) Source: Dairy Products
iii) Deficiency: Osteomalacia (softening of bones), Osteoporosis, Rickets, Tetany

2. Iron:
i) Role: It is the key constituent of haemoglobin which helps in transfer of oxygen.
ii) Source: Eggs, Green Vegetables, Fortified foods, Cereals, White flour, Liver, Meat, Nuts, Peas.
iii) Deficiency: Anaemia, Increased susceptibility to infection.

3. Magnesium:
i) Role: it is essential for healthy bones; muscles and nervous tissues. It is needed for functioning of approx. 90 enzymes.
ii) Source: Eggs, leafy vegetables, fish, milk and dairy products.
iii) Deficiency: Anxiety, fatigue, insomnia, muscle problem, nausea, premenstrual problem.

4. Phosphorus:
i) Role: it is important for healthy bone tissues.
ii) Source: Dairy products, fruits, meat, pulses, leafy vegetables.
iii) Deficiency: Anaemia, demineralization of bones, nerve disorder, respirator problem, weakness, weight loss.

5. Potassium:
i) Role: it is essential for intracellular fluid, maintenance of electrical potential of the nervous system and functioning of muscle and nerve tissues.
ii) Source: Cereals, coffee, fresh fruits, meat, vegetables, whole-grains, flour.
iii) Deficiency: General muscle paralysis and metabolic disorder.

6. Sodium:
i) Role: it is necessary for the control of the volume of extra cellular fluid in the body maintenance of pH of the body, and electrical potentials of the nervous system.
ii) Source: Bakery products, Table salts
iii) Deficiency: Low blood pressure, general muscle weakness, respiratory problems.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roshan wadhwani For This Useful Post:
H.A.S.H.M.I (Tuesday, November 22, 2011), madiha alvi (Sunday, September 08, 2013), naina khan (Sunday, November 20, 2011), SAMEYA AROOJ (Wednesday, November 05, 2014), SYEDA SABAHAT (Friday, November 18, 2011)