View Single Post
Old Saturday, January 06, 2007

amjad hafeez is on a distinguished road

AoA,

Its really interesting topic, I realy like your discussion. I would like to comment as:-

See previously DCs were having the same role, do you want to give DCOs same kind of powers? if yes, then why there is need to develop new system??

Please go through POLICE REFORMS and

PUBLIC SAFETY COMMISSION,
it is specifically there to solve that sort of issues.

AH--- Well amjad sahib amendments in police order 2002 has resulted in politicizing police hierarchy.And as far as public safety commission is concerned it has been merged with police complaint commission rendering it useless.Zila Nazim writes annual performance evaluation report of DPO which affects promotion of that officer in the future.Will it not result in using police for political motives?

Now the DCO is a neutral person under the supervision of departmental hierarchy.In case of Kohlu and Dera Bugti zila nazims had to be marginalized due to their aligned behaviour towards miscreants and powres given to the DCOs.Apart from that there have been various examples of using police against political rivals.So the law and order must not be nazim,s responsibility in our set up.

Please check MASALE HAT Committees are already established at UC level, I think you mean that. So its integral part of system, it might take time to implement all the aspect of this system. I think its quire comprehensive system and need more time for proper understanding by general public.

Yes there are masalihat committees and need to be streamlined according to the prevailing social set up.
First think that are our UCs have capacity to do so?? (Human resources, Financial and technical experties).
If District governments are unable to make a transparent system with more capacity and check and balance so how you can expect that from UC level??

Except Urban UCs there are several rural UCs how you can make balance between them. Means mostly revenue is generated from Urban UCs and then equally distributed to all UCs. If that system will implemented then the whole senario will be changed. Am I right??

Well amjad sahib Zakat committees are already there to disburse Zakawt at UC level.If they have the capacity to disburse it why not to collect it.No doubt there is less transparency at the upper level but at the lowest level people know each other very well and their sources of income.And when people will see that their money is being spent rightly they will start participating in it.And for transparency collected money and the list of the persons from whom it has been collected be displayed in every village.

Dear, in some part of the countries elections are won on biradari-ism. (Like in my district "Mansehra").

In Punjab this election has been totally on biradri basis.

Political parties are already involved in the process as we all noticed in previous LG elections.

Political parties are involved at the ditt. level but not at the UC levelso at that level it is contested on biradri basis.
My observation is that now one family member of elite is Tehsil Nazim or Naib Nazim, One is MPA, One is contesting for MNA, Senet and also District Nazim-Naib Nazim.

So do you think it is still a democracy at the grass root level?

NOW FROM MY SIDE.

The system is realy a balanced system on paper, you can find better system in place. There are some short commings those can be recognized as the process moves on and can be rectified.
See the case of CCBs parallel with Councils and Village and Naighbour-hood council.

My observation is that people will take some time to understand the system and the gradual process will prove that this is a good system.

Tell me how many people realy understand this system till now???

So don't say that there is nothing good in this system. There are short commings, political and bureaucratic challanges, those need to be solved.

TOGETHER WE CAN ALL MAKE THE DIFFERENCE.

So do your best to support the idea, and share innovation from your side for improving the system.

I am thankfull that you started this discussion. I am also glad that you have the indepth knowledge of this system as well.

Hope I will receive feedback on my comments and questions.

Regards

Actually this system is another gift from an army dictator.If it is so much beneficial and democracy oriented why have there been such systems from army?Firstly it was done by Ayub then Zia and now Musharaf.I see less sincerity in its implementation and suitability in our set up.