View Single Post
Old Monday, January 08, 2007

Sohail Shuja is on a distinguished road

Salaam,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba786
PLEASE DONOT MIND ALTHOUGH I HAVE GONE THROUGH THE ANSWER ANMD HAVE COME TO KNOW THAT TIGHTLY PACKED NATURE OF ATOMS ARE HELPFUL IN TRANSMISSION OF SOUND WAVES BUT WHAT ABOUT THAT lAPLACE RULE..the rule says that SOUNDS TRAVELLING ABILITY IS INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL TO DENSITY. mY POINT OR SOMETHING WHICH I COULD NOT UNDERSTAND WAS WHEN AIR IS LESS DENSE THAN IRON, THE SOUND SHOULD TRAVEL FASTER IN AIR....PLEASE DO ENLIGHTEN ME , I AM SO GLAD BY YOUR QUICK RERSPONSE. GOD bless u
Well, janaab-e-aali, sound travels in the form of waves. Now waves need some medium to travel through. Also the energy produced by the sound waves is in the form of vibrational energy, which induces motion in the particles. Now this energy is transferred to the next particle by inter-collision of these particles. So, this phenomenon carries on. This is the main reason that sound does not travel in vaccum. The more dense the medium is, it is more efficient for sound conductivity.
About the LaPlace rule, I think that I have heard the name in the Fourier Series and the Fourier Transform, but still do not know what it really is. May u be kind enough to enlighten me more about the application of this law w.r.t the audio waves ?