View Single Post
Old Saturday, December 31, 2011
Super Moderator
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Best Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best Mod 2008

Thanked 1,764 Times in 818 Posts
Princess Royal is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Royal is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Royal is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Royal is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Royal is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Royal is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Royal is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by roijen View Post
Please do not use the word 'play'.
Could you elaborate, please?

@ Rest

I agree with all of you. And mjkhan, i'm also aware that it's unethical to not pay attention to the conversation. This point has occurred to me several times, in fact. And no doubt, listening attentively gives more peace and a rich spiritual experience. However, what i said in my previous post is actually based upon a scenario which I believe I should have mentioned earlier. Anyhow.........

Suppose there's this person who has always been involved in activities that Islam does not permit. But one day, he has an urge and an intense feeling to be in mosque, to be closer to God, to pray, to cry, to repent etc etc. And he enters the mosque while still in an inappropriate condition (you could say half drunk or inappropriate clothes or whatever). What would you do? Kick him out of the mosque instantly? Or let him cry and talk to God, sit next to him and say a few humble words, then take him out and help him? Well, I would do the latter.

Similarly, if there's this young person involved in all sort of "cool" activities. But at some point he has an intense feeling to discover (or re-discover) the religion. So instead of playing music, he starts playing Quran. Even if he's not attentive the entire time, there could be instances where a word or two would catch his attention and make him listen attentively or go more deeply in the ayah. Apart from the reasons already mentioned, isn't it still good? At least, he's not listening music. At least, he is not doing something that has been termed haram. At least, he's not doing those "cool" activities anymore. And who knows, if through this practice he would become more into religion and be someone whom we would call "a true ambassador of Islam" and later be even more than just attentive while listening to Quran. And I believe we can not ignore the way our mind functions because there is always this unconscious part that is active and we are unaware of it, of what it is storing.

Speaking about personal experience, during preparation of my final A'Level exams I used to play Surah Al-Baqarah while studying along with its english translation. Though I wasn't attentive the entire time, yet there were instances where a few words would catch my attention and then I used to stop doing what ever i was and follow it. Then move back to work. Believe me, because of this playing habit the afore-mentioned surah became my favorite. I felt it had answers to almost all social and other problems that we face. And now, when at times I play it in the morning the initial part of the surah always seems familiar, the words. And I enjoy it even more. I love it.

I'm not a prefect Muslim, but trying to get on the path I have once lived (this doesn't mean i was or i am involved in "cool" activities ). But now, with better understanding I feel more firm in what I do and what I believe. Because it is something that I have done and still do, and because I wonder about other people in situations like mentioned above I felt I should discuss here cuz in Islam there is always room for possibilities I believe. As long as something brings someone closer to Allah, i believe there could be a room for it as well. Couldn't there be?

Please take me that way I intent.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Princess Royal For This Useful Post:
Arain007 (Saturday, December 31, 2011), mjkhan (Saturday, December 31, 2011), R3b3l (Tuesday, January 10, 2012)