View Single Post
Old Monday, April 16, 2012

omarhanif will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Css tips & tricks

CSS TIPS & TRICKS

Most of us earn our degrees without reckoning our aptitude or we go for a discipline which is in fashion. In CSS, it is quite different. Here we do not have to earn a degree rather we have to grab excellent marks.

For the preparation of CSS (Central Superior Services), certain questions crop out in one's mind. It is difficult for the students to prepare the subjects individually and they have to seek guidance from different sources. In this context, they face certain problems, when they aspire to appear in CSS exams.

These are:
1. What optional subjects should I opt for?
2. Am I competent enough to take CSS exams?
3. What is sufficient time span for preparation?
4. How much should I study?

1. What optional subjects should I choose?

There are two perspectives:

(a) Optional subjects about which we learn that they are high scoring subjects.

(b) Optional subjects about which we learn that they are not that high scoring subjects.

(i) Perspective A

Not denying the fact that there are certain subjects, which are really marks yielding. These subjects include all science subjects such as Pure Math, Applied Math, Physics, Computer Sciences… and other subjects such as Mercantile Law, Accountings etc. To analyze this perspective one should consider these points:

• One's aptitude concerning the subject.
• One's skill concerning the subject.
• One's capacity concerning enhance-ment.
• One's capability in the subject.

Who should opt these subjects?

Anybody who says 'YES' to all above questions should go for these subjects.

Neither underestimate nor overestimate your competence. In case of overestimation none would endure loss but only you. Underestimation is somewhat good because it would work as impetus for hardwork. Most important thing in opting for these subjects is your aptitude. Higher the aptitude, higher would be the rate of success.

It is reality that there is no surety that one earns a bachelor's or master degree in any of these disciplines with enthusiasm or keen interest. Most of us earn our degrees without reckoning our aptitude or we go for a discipline, which is in “fashion,” or sometimes we are left with no choice-a Hobson's choice. In CSS, it is quite different. Here we do not have to earn a degree rather we have to grab excellent marks. If these subjects are marks yielding; it is reality too that these are one of those subjects, which can't be solved with general knowledge. General knowledge is a tool for success in subjects falling in category of humanities. One of the best ways to analyze one's capabilities in natural sciences subjects is to review past papers. In this way one can easily understand the prospective problems and rate of success. By reviewing past 10 years papers one can easily calculate how much diligent efforts are required to get excellent marks in the subject.

Neither underestimate nor overesti-mate your competence. In case of overestimation none would endure loss but only you. Underestimation is somewhat good because it would work as impetus for hardwork. Most important thing in opting for these subjects is your aptitude. Higher the aptitude, higher would be the rate of success.

(ii) Perspective B

This perspective does not hold water because of the following facts:
No subject is low scoring if one is well prepared.
Only requirement to get high score is to know how to deal that subject.
Your aptitude is your strength; higher
the aptitude, higher would be success rate.

For instance, it is said that constitu- tional law is too easy subject but as low score as what has been recorded in this subject. Intriguingly in the same subject numbers of aspirant have scored more than 80%.

As said before your aptitude is your strength and next step to get excellent marks is to administer your aptitude. Only advice that could be given is to evaluate your aptitude precisely. Point is to put effort. Remember any subject either belongs to natural science or social science would be of no use if you have no aptitude or interest. Lower the aptitude, higher would be boredom; higher would be boredom, higher the difficulty in dealing the subject and ultimately higher stamina would be required to grip on that subject.

2. Am I competent enough to take CSS exam?

There are indeed some apprehensions such as:
• I have never enjoyed creditable academic record.
• My English is not that high.
• I am not confident.

Can I offer what this endeavor demands?

You can cope with any kind of apprehension if you have high will compound with logic. If there is a will there is a way! What you have to do is to draw a strategy or a plan with different milestones. Your job is to cross milestones within time. For instance your milestones (which could be interpreted in terms of prerequisite of success) could be these:

Milestone 1: I have to get English proficiency (say first three months).

Milestone 2: I have to develop analytical characteristics (say within two months).

Remember any subject either belongs to natural science or social science would be of no use if you have no aptitude or interest. Lower the aptitude, higher would be boredom; higher would be boredom, higher the difficulty in dealing the subject and ultimately higher stamina would be required to grip on that subject.

First you have to draw your strategy; strategy is how you define your “problem statement” that is you define what you have to do in order to achieve your objective. The second part which is most important is the execution of strategy that is your work on “how” part of your problem. Remember do not render strategy making “a brown study” or “building castle in air.” Your strategy should be feasible and must be realistic or workable. Again please do not overestimate yourself.

You can do anything what any other single human being can. If you feel that you take more time as compare to any other person or just simple that you can't grab things fast do not bother yourself, remember the essence that 'YOU CAN DO WHAT OTHER CAN DO!' Instead of taking time span a predicament. But time span should be realistic such as if one can do a piece of work in one day you must be able to do that work in three days. Anyhow that difference must keep dwindle as time passes and you should be able to do that work in one and a half day.

Besides aforementioned stuff, follo-wing are other imperatives that are equally important:

• English language proficiency
• Grasp on Current Affair
• Analytical capabilities

What role English language profi-ciency plays is as obvious as one's existence.?

A bout grasp on current affairs, I would like to quote Yahya's statement that if one has no grasp over current affairs no one needs to bother oneself to take exams. Yahya scored 37th position in 2003 CSS exams. Yahya's statement holds water in very circumstances and one can easily validate his statement if one has gone through other papers' pattern of CSS exams. Even Islamiyat paper is not devoid of current affairs.

3. What is sufficient time span of preparation?

No one can predict accurate time span. It could be from six months to three years. It all depends on the academic background you have, what kind of skills you have and your capability to grasp concepts.
If one has to start from scratch but possessing good metal capabilities, rough estimation is of one year.

If one has to start from scratch with not too good metal capabilities rough estimation is of one and a half to one year.

If one need not to start from scratch and possessing good metal capabilities rough estimation is of six months.

4. How much should I study?

Answer of this question strictly depends on your choice of time span coupled with your metal capabilities. Whatsoever time span you chose as suggested above (in second last question) you need to study from six to eight hours on daily basis.

Last edited by Shooting Star; Monday, April 16, 2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Avoid Red Color.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to omarhanif For This Useful Post:
bigsenior (Monday, April 16, 2012), faisaljutt (Monday, April 16, 2012), Last Island (Thursday, November 22, 2012), Mehwish05 (Tuesday, May 01, 2012), pisceankhan (Thursday, August 14, 2014), Qurratulain Aslam (Monday, April 08, 2013), rooshni (Monday, April 30, 2012), Shaw (Monday, April 23, 2012), Taimoor Gondal (Monday, April 16, 2012), The One (Sunday, April 29, 2012), waqasbhalli345 (Friday, April 27, 2012)