View Single Post
Old Wednesday, May 09, 2012

kiyani will become famous soon enough

"The Mummy Awakens" (1939) has all the trappings of a mummy story, complete with the obligatory disclaimer that prefaces many tales of the supernatural: "I am deeply embarrassed to tell this tale--for some of its events violate the laws of reason and of nature altogether. If this were merely fiction, then it would not cause me to feel such embarrassment. Yet it happened in the realm of reality...." It isn't just any mummy who wakes, it is General Hor, likely based on the last 18th Dynasty ruler Horemheb (1328-1298 B.C.), as Stock notes. Other pharaohs have been brought to life in fiction, but Hor isn't like the lumbering, enigmatic but ultimately benevolent Khufu in Jane Loudon's The Mummy (1827), or the urbane revivified royalty hobnobbing late one night in the Cairo Museum in H. Rider Haggard's "Smith and the Pharaohs" (1921). General Hor is not a happy camper.
The pharaonic setting of these tales is enhanced by Mahfouz's straightforward writing and the viewpoint of his protagonists, which sometimes borders on naive or wondering.
"The Mummy Awakens" with an overt political message set in a satire on the mummy genre.

For the other one i don't find any material, you don't you consult NKM or famous publisher's books.....!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiyani For This Useful Post:
faaizaa (Sunday, August 25, 2013), RabiaAfzal (Wednesday, May 09, 2012)