Thread: Tips
View Single Post
Old Sunday, February 18, 2007
35th Common
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: 4th position 2006

jahanzeb is on a distinguished road

I would like to tell u guys a bit about the compulsory papers. These days, the compulsory papers are scrutinized more than the optional ones. So it's always helpful to concentrate more on the former.

Compulsory Subjects

English Comprehension: To be honest with you, i dont know if there are any standard rules that u could follow and clear this paper. I mean, our paper was very tricky. The precis was exceptionally difficult. The comprehension was no less difficult. About precis and comprehension, u should read it again and again until u get the crux. I would strongly recommend u guys to check out our paper and u wud know what i am talking about. About vocab, DO NOT try to memorize difficult words, it's useless. I think, it is always better to get urself a digital dictionary, a good one, and use it every time u come across a strange word (u wud come across a lot of alien words if u read ayaz amir).

Islamiat: Read friday features. Get urself 'Islam at a Glance' or any other text book and write down all the verses and Ahadith relevant to different topics. For example, i jotted down the relevant verses and ahadith for women rights, different systems, Islamic morals etc. It's highly recommended that u guys ahould memorize'em. Because, the kinda questions we r getting these days are highly subjective but if u know the relevant verses and ahadith, u have the flexibility to answer different questions in ur own way.

Current Affairs: Read dawn and Imtiaz Shahid's quarterly Contemporary affairs. Make your own notes, if u have time. I did.

Pakistan Affairs: Our seniors would want us to read the 'Formative phase' but the recent papers suggest otherwise. If you check out our paper, u would know what i am saying. So, i think, u should read formative phase but do not waste too much time on it. I think u should read the national news in Dawn about the policies of our government.

Everyday Science: Oh man, EDS is so lengthy. Memorize units from Imtiaz Shahid's. Memorize abbreviations from every where (note'em down whenever u come across one). Read universe and human physiology from some encyclopedia for kids (i know what ur thinking). If u cant find one, read it from Imtiaz Shahid's. And the most important book, Bhatti's EDS book. This book would help you answer objective type questions.

Optionals

Political Science: Read constitutions from Kelly and wikipedia. About thoughts, read Jud Harmon for western philosophers and Rosenthal for Muslim scientists. Note: Do not read both, opt for one

Constitutional Law: Same as Political Science

International Relations: Ummm, a bit tricky. Go thru Wikipedia and any book

American History: Read 'Majumdar and Srivastva' (It ends with Nixon years). 'Pocket history of USA' from Nixon years to Bush Senior. And wikipedia for Clinton and Bush Junior.

Pushtu: Read 'Pohanna'

It is extemely important that you make notes for all the subjects except Essay and English. Notes are very helpful. Infact, i dont think u can clear CSS without ur own notes.
It is also important that u guys should get urself books on MCQ's for each subject. Memorize the objectives.

I know it sounds like an uphill battle but trust me it isn't. I think making notes should take you threeto four months, not more than that. And another three months for reading your own notes.

I hope it is of some help. I would appreciate if u think i have missed something and u feel like adding to it.

Regards

Last edited by Princess Royal; Tuesday, June 30, 2009 at 12:34 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jahanzeb For This Useful Post:
Aaiza Jadoon (Monday, May 23, 2016), dr.atifrana (Thursday, July 16, 2009)