View Single Post
Old Monday, July 16, 2012
Makhzan-e-Urdu Adab
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,576 Posts
Farrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud of
Default Books are my friends that never fail me(My attempt in PMS)

I'm posting in section of Essay as it is appropriate place for it so I don't expect it to be moved in PMS section.

I wrote 7 pages and 2 of outline.Overall it can be considered 10 pages as there were some extra lines too.I'm not happy for its length.However I'm hoping for the best.

Besides,I think I have skipped some points as I couldn't remember them.

Books are my friends that never fail me - Thomas Carlyle

When I'm hurt ,they console me
When I'm dejected,they encourage me,
When I'm sad,they make me smile,

Proudly and happily let me tell thee,
books are my friends that never fail me

--->Who is a friend?

--->Requisites of a good friend (help,entertain,encourage etc)

"A man is known by his company"

--->comparison of books and friends

--->books as different kinds of friends

~religious books,
~informative books,
~biographies
~entertaining books,
~educational books
~historical books
~literary books

--->Books are part of literature,some genre;

~poetry
~drama
~novel
~criticism etc

--->Literature and reality

Oscar wilde says, "Life should follow literature"

--->Role of books in development of personality

It is said,"Personality depends upon character,character depends upon thoughts and thoughts depend upon people we meet"
So people whose friends are books have pure and mature thoughts.

--->Books are guiding stars

--->Some books help in studies

As Bacon says in his essay "Of Studies",

Some books are to swallow,some are to chew and a few are to digest.

--->Some books entertain.

e.g Oscar Wilde's "Importance of being Earnest".This book not only satirizes the aristocratic class but also entertains the readers.

--->Some books share experiences

e.g biographies of famous people.Abraham Lincoln shared his experiences and presented golden tips to lead good life.

--->Some books give way to catharsis.They discuss delicate emotions and feelings of love.

~e.g books of poetry

~Poem by Prabhakar bangurde

--->Some books teach moral lessons

~Dr.faustus by Marlowe tells that if a man runs after materialistic pursuits and is mad for power and money,he is damned eternally.

~Heart of darkness by Conrad exposes the exploitation of black people by the white men.

~He says,"Power corrupts man and absolute power corrupts absolutely"

Then he presents the character of Mr.Kurtz who is incarnation of evil and meets an unpleasant end.

~Keats emphasizes on value of truth.He says,

"Beauty is truth,truth beauty,that's all ye know on earth and all ye need to know"

--->Conclusion

~Books are the best companions.

ہم نشین ہو کتاب سے
اس سے بہتر کوئ رفیق نہیں

"Be in company of books as they are the best companions"

I'm doubtful about the urdu couplet because I read it long ago during my school days.

Kindly comment on my outline.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Farrah Zafar For This Useful Post:
Abid khan Achakzai (Tuesday, July 30, 2013), adeel abdullah (Thursday, December 20, 2012), Alvi (Monday, November 26, 2012), Anam pervaiz (Wednesday, December 19, 2012), Anees Khan (Thursday, July 19, 2012), bl chughtai (Wednesday, July 18, 2012), decentguy (Monday, October 29, 2012), EXCLUSIVE (Thursday, July 19, 2012), khan Shaheer (Wednesday, July 18, 2012), madiha alvi (Friday, April 04, 2014), mano g (Friday, July 20, 2012), pisceankhan (Thursday, August 14, 2014), Raat ka musafir (Saturday, October 26, 2013), Samina Malik (Friday, July 20, 2012), SamiPerhar (Monday, July 16, 2012), Shahzad Sial (Friday, July 20, 2012), zuhaib ahmed (Wednesday, July 18, 2012)