View Single Post
Old Wednesday, March 14, 2007
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason:

prieti has a spectacular aura aboutprieti has a spectacular aura aboutprieti has a spectacular aura about

@mazhar bhai..

The first point which u have mentioned is about quota system…this statement is very true that QS is an obstacle in the way of equitable merit-based system….

Lots of deserving students are not able to get admission due to this factor…coz we have fixed number of seats for each province…but I think this system has rather now become a necessity…. As the standard of education of many parts of the country, esp. the rural interior sindh, backward areas of Baluchistan …partial Punjab…. Fana/fata and northern areas…is so much low down…. that if there is no quota system the children of those areas will not be able to get further higher education…their merit/standard will never meet the demands and requirements of the university.

But on the other hand giving them admission sometimes becomes a problem for themselves …

This is something which I have observed in my university.. That a lot of my class fellows belong to rural areas of sindh, northern areas of chitral swat. fana/fata etc are having tough and extremely difficult time…. Mostly they have received their early education from villages. When the enter the university there a totally different system… which they are not used to…they only get admission on the basis of quota Not merit… resulting in low down quality of education.....
then there is another big problem of medium of instruction…in most areas of our country the medium of instruction is either Urdu or mother tongue… now when children from remote areas admitted in university… they have to face the big ghost of eng.. Language…most of them fail due to the factor that they can not articulate themselves them selves in eng…they understand the lectures but are unable to express… now how can a student learn the basics of eng… at this stage…so this quota sys here becomes trouble and dilemma for them….

SO IN THIS PREVAILING QUOTA SYSTEM HOW COULD WE THINK TO IMPROVE OUR QUALITY OF EDU?

Ur second point is about was about kinds of schools

here I disagree a little bit…coz what I have seen here in Islamabad and some other cities as well is that there are four types of schools existing… one for the elites I.e. private schools…second the high level govt. English medium schools like model schools…. Third the low level govt. schools (usually called as 3 number or 7 number Urdu medium schools) mostly for the lower middle class… and then the forth type of schools known as madras’s…

I totally agree that Private schools have become a necessity for contemporary Pakistani society since the government has failed to provide quality education for its population. Getting education from a private institution has become a status symbol…
People want their children to learn English. Private schools offer all instruction in English while government schools offer instruction in either Urdu or the local provincial language.

Now a days the primary objective of 90% people is to get good job and earn money…. there are very less people who still have the concept in mind that getting education is also our religious obligation…we learn and teach from the primary class that
“ilm hasil karna har musalman mard aur aurat pe farz hai” but forget it with the passage of time..

There is another drawback that the education system prevailing in Pakistan is (unluckily) gifted by the goraass…. at that time when they were ruling us an education system was introduced BY LORD MACAULY (begun by CHARLES GRANT) in which ENGLISH was made compulsory…secondly main objective of education was just to attain jobsss… govrt. High jobs were given to only those who were conversant with English…

This is all which is still prevalent in our motherland…and we are still under the influence of this system… till now we are not able to devise our own education system…in which we could promote our own rich culture, art, aesthetics, values and religion…

I think education has far more objectives other than just attainment of job…it totally reconstructs ones personality…builds up character…teaches to distinguish between right and wrong and many many others…

anywayz it was a lond discussion but we should hope for the best

I pray to almighty Allah to bestow upon our nation and us his blessings…and show us the right path so that one day we could compete with Sri Lanka and England and reach to 100% literacy rate…inshallah.

regards,

A Man Would Do Nothing,
If He Waited Until He
Could Do It So Well
That No One Would Find Fault
With What He Has Done.