View Single Post
Old Thursday, April 12, 2007
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Best Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best ModMember of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: For the year 2007Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Thanked 3,082 Times in 760 Posts
Sureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to all
Default Class # 3

Modals

Modals are auxiliary , they are used with main verbs to give additional meaning to main verbs .

The most common modals are listed below , along with some of the additional meanings that they add to main verbs .

Can = Possibility , ability , permission
Could = Possibility , ability in the past
may = Probability , permission
might = probability
must = necessity , logical conclusion
shall = future with emphasis
should = advice , obligation , prediction
will = future
would = condition

Problem 1 : Modal + verb word

Remember that a modal is used with a verb word . A verb word is the dictionary form of the verb . In some grammar books , the verb word is called the bare (uncovered) infinitive because it appears without the word to . Verb words are very important in many patterns, they are used most often with modals.

Quote:
Structure : S + modal + verb word
Quote:
Expression : They (s) might (modal) visit (vw) us
Avoid using an infinitive or an -ing form instead of a verb word after a modal.

Examples :

Incorrect : After u show me the way , I can to go by myself
Correct : After u show me the way , I can go by myself

Incorrect : Our friends might stopping to see us on their way to california
Correct : Our friends might stop to see us on their way to california

Incorrect : The flight should to be on time
Correct : The flight should be on time

Incorrect : I would , if there is time , liking to make a phone call.
Correct : I would , if there is time , like to make a phone call.

Problem 2 : Logical conclusion ~ events in the past.

Remember that must is a modal. Must followed by the verb word have and a participle expresses a logical conclusion based on evidence. The conclusion is about an event that happened in the past .

Remember that an observation in the present may serve as the basis for a conclusion about something that happened in the past. for instance , " here is a message on my dest ". It may be concluded that . " my friend must have called me last night".

Quote:
Structure : S + must have + participle + past time
Quote:
Expression : She must have left early in the morning
Avoid using should or can instead of must . Avoid using a verb word instead of have and a participle when referring to events in the past.

Examples :

Incorrect : The streets are wet ; It should have rained last night
Correct : The streets are wet ; It must have rained last night

Incorrect : This pen won`t write ; It can have run out of ink (in the past)
Correct : This pen won`t write ; It must have run out of ink (in the past)

Incorrect : The ring that i was looking at is gone ; someone else must buy it
Correct : The ring that i was looking at is gone ; someone else must have bought it

Problem 3 : Logical conclusion ~ events in the present

Remember that must is a modal. Must followed by be and an-ing form or an adjective expresses a logical conclusion based on evidence. The conclusion is about an event that is happening now.

Quote:
Structure : S + must be + -ing + present time
Quote:
Expression : My friend must be calling now
Quote:
Structure : S + must be + adjective + present time
Quote:
Expression : He must be upset now
Avoid using a verb word instead of an -ing form after must be.

Examples :

Incorrect : The line is busy ; someone should be using the telephone now
Correct : The line is busy ; someone must be using the telephone now

Incorrect : He is talking walk ; he must have felt better now
Correct : He is talking walk ; he must be feeling better now

Incorrect : Sarah must get a divorce (now) because her husband is living in an apartment
Correct : Sarah must be getting a divorce (now) because her husband is living in an apartment

Problem 4 : Logical conclusions ~ events that repeat

Remember that must is a modal. Must is followed by a verb word expresses a logical conclusion based on evidence . The conclusion is about an event that happens repeatedly

Quote:
Structure : S + must + verb word + repeated time
Quote:
Expression : My friend must call often
Avoid using an infinitive or an -ing form instead of a verb word after must .

Examples :

Incorrect : The light is always out in her room at ten o` clock ; she must have go to bed early every night
Correct : The light is always out in her room at ten o` clock ; she must go to bed early every night

Incorrect : Our neighbours must having alot of money because they are always taking expensive trips
Correct : Our neighbours must have alot of money because they are always taking expensive trips

Incorrect : Her english is very good ; she must spoken it often
Correct : Her english is very good ; she must speak it often
nqayyum (Tuesday, September 23, 2014), NusratShamshad (Wednesday, December 24, 2014), rizwan qadeer (Tuesday, September 30, 2014), Waqas77 (Sunday, January 20, 2013)