Thread: CSS Top 10
View Single Post
Old Saturday, April 14, 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,445 Times in 282 Posts
Argus is a splendid one to beholdArgus is a splendid one to beholdArgus is a splendid one to beholdArgus is a splendid one to beholdArgus is a splendid one to beholdArgus is a splendid one to beholdArgus is a splendid one to behold
Smile Jahanzeb Khan (Balochistan)

Jahanzeb Khan,has attained Fourth position in the Competitive Examinition 2006

His Score in CSS exam 2006

Written: 688
Interview: 236
--------------------
Total: 924

His experience abt Compulsory and optionals

English Essay: I think essay writing is a very difficult task. It may not sound very difficult but trust me, it is. In CSS, the only paper that you should fear is that of Essay.

I think the first and foremost important factor in essay writing is that of the topic that you attempt. It's always better to know your strenghts and weaknesses before going for a topic. Myself, being equipped with the statistics and an overall picture of our economy attempted 'Foriegn Direct Investment in Pakistan' this year. I could have opted for 'Global warming' because i had read an extensive article on the said topic. But i didnt. Reason being, an article doesnt give you enough information to write a three hour essay.

The point that i am trying to make is that, only go for that topic that you think you have complete command over. An article or two for that matter arn't enough. For those who find my suggestions a bit confusing and for those who don't know their strenghts and weaknesses, i recommend that they should read the daily Business page and weekly Business op-ed in dawn. This would arm them with enough analytical overview of Pakistani economy that they shouldn't find the economics related essays difficult. I think this is one of the safest bets to clear the essay paper because every year we get an essay related topic. It may vary from year to year but it, for sure, will be related to our economy.

English Comprehension: To be honest with you, i dont know if there are any standard rules that u could follow and clear this paper. About vocab, DO NOT try to memorize difficult words, it's useless. Use digital dictionary all the time. Practice Precis and comprehension.

Islamiat: Read friday features. Get urself 'Islam at a Glance' or any other text book and write down all the verses and Ahadith relevant to different topics. For example, i jotted down the relevant verses and ahadith for women rights, different systems, Islamic morals etc. It's highly recommended that u guys memorize'em. Because, the kinda questions we r getting these days are highly subjective but if u know the relevant verses and ahadith, u have the flexibility to answer different questions in ur own way.

Current Affairs: Read dawn and Imtiaz Shahid's quarterly Contemporary affairs. Make your own notes, if u have time. I did.

Pakistan Affairs: Our seniors would want us to read the 'Formative phase' but the recent papers suggest otherwise. If you check out our paper, u would know what i am saying. So, i think, u should read formative phase but do not waste too much time on it. I think u should read the national news in Dawn about the policies of our government.

Everyday Science: EDS is so lengthy. Memorize units from Imtiaz Shahid's. Memorize abbreviations from every where (note'em down whenever u come across one). Read universe and human physiology from some encyclopedia for kids (i know what ur thinking). If u cant find one, read it from Imtiaz Shahid's. And the most important book, Bhatti's EDS book. This book would help you answer objective type questions.

Optionals

Political Science: Read constitutions from Kelly and wikipedia. About thoughts, read Jud Harmon for western philosophers and Rosenthal for Muslim scientists. Note: Do not read both, opt for one

Constitutional Law: Same as Political Science

International Relations: Ummm, a bit tricky. Go thru Wikipedia and any book

American History: Read 'Majumdar and Srivastva' (It ends with Nixon years). 'Pocket history of USA' from Nixon years to Bush Senior. And wikipedia for Clinton and Bush Junior.

Pushtu: Read 'Pohanna'

Tips for preparation

It is extemely important that you make notes for all the subjects except Essay and English. Notes are very helpful. Infact, i dont think u can clear CSS without ur own notes.

It is also important that u guys should get urself books on MCQ's for each subject. Memorize the objectives.

I know it sounds like an uphill battle but trust me it isn't. I think making notes should take you three to four months, not more than that. And another three months for reading your own notes.

Psychological test

The first day of psychological test is all about writing. Just try to be yourself and do not try to project yourself as super human or something

The second day involves group discussion, command task and an informal interview with the psychologists' panel. In the discussion, you do not have to take the initiative. You can listen to others and then speak. Try to be logical and do not speak for the sake of speaking. You can second your colleagues or differ from them. In the command task, use common sense, that's it. Initiate the meeting by saying something like " The reason i have called this meeting is cos we are facing a situation.....". Explain the situation and then start taking suggestions from your colleagues. One of'em would be noting down the minutes of meeting, take his feedback and then conclude. You may alter your conclusion if u r given a suggestion which sounds better than your own or you can stick to your original conclusion.

The psychologists observe your confidence and leadership qualities.

Interview [got 236/300]

I was quite happy with the way i performed in my written exams. I wasnt as content with my interview though. I was interrogated and cross questioned a lot by the chairman. We had arguements but i was polite and came up with logical answers to his pointing questions. In the end when the chairman realized that i wasnt taking any pressure from his questions, i think, he tried to impose his views on me to get the best out of me but i would put forward my views to negate his. At the end of the day, the interview was quite an experience. I was candid throughout my interview, gave honest replies to all the questions, never resorted to flattering or 'diplomatic' answers. My verbal english is okay. Looking back at my written exam, i think, i must have secured exceptional marks in my interview that helped me land at the fourth position overall which is quite an achievement for a candidate from Balochistan. I am glad that the panel dont have stereotypical views which is great. Guys, just be yourself, if you get to the interview stage.

(Thanks Jahanzeb rora)

Last edited by Argus; Wednesday, May 23, 2007 at 03:35 AM.
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Argus For This Useful Post:
5asif (Saturday, May 28, 2016), acbarasghar (Tuesday, June 21, 2011), anam murad khan (Tuesday, October 31, 2017), badakhsh (Thursday, June 30, 2011), bint e basheer (Monday, April 13, 2009), Erum Qureshi (Saturday, December 08, 2012), hira imam rizvi (Thursday, March 12, 2009), madiha alvi (Monday, September 16, 2013), MUHAMMAD ADIL HAROON (Friday, October 02, 2015), Muhammad Tauqir (Wednesday, December 13, 2017), MuhammadAliSubhani (Sunday, July 29, 2012), muhammadsaadvirk (Saturday, July 22, 2023), Raheel Mughal (Friday, January 04, 2019), rana umair (Thursday, November 05, 2009), SADIA SHAFIQ (Saturday, October 22, 2011), Saladin (Saturday, October 22, 2011), salehafatima (Monday, November 15, 2010), salman habib (Saturday, July 21, 2012), Shariq (Sunday, July 14, 2013), sunlight (Sunday, May 03, 2009), syeda naqvi (Monday, January 30, 2012), The Manager (Wednesday, November 16, 2011), Urooj rajput (Thursday, May 16, 2019)