Thread: Precis Writing
View Single Post
Old Saturday, December 15, 2012

ambreens is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

oh God...this detailed discussion on precis writing is although effective ...but is enough to confuse for a new person who has not much time left in examination...so my msg for those who are new at this forum and finding solution to ready their precis writing section.....guys first of all be relax and confident as english is not our mother tongue...so, one has to be confident only calm,.

attempting this section one only needs to follow points given below..

1. read this passage calmly (without any pressure over our head that u are sitting in examination hall and make hurry) , read the paragraph like u are sitting in ur drawing room and reading a story..... read passage for 5 times (if get idea in 2nd reading although,but do complete five readings).

2.count words and divide by 3. u ll get the total word limit to express the idea of passage. avoid all examples and details like beating about the bush.

3.make a rough draft in foam of points within ur word limits. use idioms and one word substituions(if comes in ur mind relevant to the idea), if not so write in ur own words with a focus on conciseness.

4. dont use words like i , we but one/people/it is generally accepted/according to this etc..

5.dont use exacts word of passage but only key words..u can change sequence but ideally i should be match the original text.

best of luck to all.
The Following User Says Thank You to ambreens For This Useful Post:
sonia5 (Sunday, December 16, 2012)