View Single Post
Old Thursday, January 17, 2013
41st CTP (IG)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2012 Merit 634

love Pakistan 7 is on a distinguished road

Mine was for approximately 15-20 mins but I think it was less than 20 mins.
I entered the room sat down. The members were smiling. They remained friendly throughout the interview
(I have done masters in Politics and IR and Mphil in American Studies so their focus remained on America)
Chairman:You are from Sindh and have lived in Islamabad for your entire life and acquired education from Islamabad
Me: Yes sir
chairman: Native Village
Me: Matiari
Chairman: You do not go there so often, bonds are not so strong (Something like that?)
Me: We used to go there often when my grandmother was alive; I think the last time I visited was in 2003.
Chairman: American Studies seems peculiar why this particular field
Me: Because the United States is an important country on the map, it plays an important role in the world politics and we must know about the US politics, history, economy their culture and values. During my time at Islamic university, I developed an interest in American government and politics while I was studying politics and IR. That too became a reason for mphil in the subject.
The one on the right side: He asked something about the conservatives in the United States and why they are willing to go to war
Me: Because of puritan influence and they believe it is their mission to propagate their influence and the concept of manifest destiny. Mayb cuz they want to establish their supremacy around the world
He then again asked something about the conservatives being the Republicans and warmongers, it was not a question rather a statement.
Me: Although almost all Republicans are conservatives not all of them are warmongrers or conservatives.
Mam Batool: Pakistan is facing energy crisis what other sources of energy can be utilized?
Me: Through wind and other sources but I would like it through exploration of coal, we must utilize our resources.
Mam Batool: Do you think nuclear energy is a good alternative.
Me: After the Fukushema nuclear disaster in Japan I became a bit skeptical about the use of nuclear energy because it was scary but yes we should go forward with it too to get rid of energy crisis.
The one on the right side (of chairman): On the issue of dams we couldn't solve our political problems what do you think about that
Me: we must try to have a consensus on the issue of dams. If all the provinces agree we can go forward with the dam (kalabagh) but without political consensus it wouldn't be a wise step.
Chairman: What are Sindh's reservations?
The one on the right side: Name the districts in Southern Sindh
Me: I don’t know (The only question that I passed)
Me: The wont get enough water for irrigating their lands
Chairman: You are a student of US history, why were people like martin Luther King and John F Kennedy assassinated?
Me: Because some in the United States did not agree with their ideologies, their ideas, like Martin Luther king was a civil rights activist, John F Kennedy too was pro blacks. There were those who were opposed to what they stood for.
Chairman: Who is your favorite US president?
Me: Bill Clinton
(Tricky question cuz I knew they would start asking follow up questions on the president. I knew about Bill Clinton more than others and His wife is my favorite personality and I had already written that in the Performa so after a second or two thought Bill Clinton would be a safe choice). But the chairman was like he is one of the recent ones what about old ones something like that
Me: Abraham Lincoln was good too. I like him and Bill Clinton.
Chairman: What did Abraham Lincoln do?
Me: Because he is the reason blacks are free today. After the civil war and his Emancipation proclamation the black slaves were freed.
The one on extreme left: You presented a paper on media in America what was in it?
Me: It was about how media is responsible for influencing the public opinion, foreign policy, war, electoral politics etc.
The one on extreme left: How can you say media affects public opinion and foreign policy?
Me: I used examples in the paper like during the time of George Bush (Senior) when Somali civil war broke out their plight forced Bush to send troops to the country due to the images that flashed on the media
He cut me then and said what other examples did you use
I was like I am coming to that and started
Me: In Somalia the troops were sent and withdrawn due to public opinion influenced by the media same is the case when the media in the United States covers the Middle East and gives equal airtime to both Palestinian and Israeli casualties after disproportionate killings.
He cut me once again and said it is fair and not influencing the public opinion, It is fair to give equal airtime to both sides.
(I thought in my mind, don’t let him prevail cuz already many details of my paper evaporated from my mind due to his countering me constantly and I forgot all significant examples that I used in it like Vietnam, Watergate etc )
Me: Sir if the media covers an Israeli assault on Gaza in a way that it gives 20 minutes to 100 causalities on the Palestinian sides and gives same amount of time to 2 rockets fired on Israel with only one casualty then this is unfair reporting.
The one on extreme left: What kind of media did you use?
Me: Electronic, Channels like Fox news (Conservative) CBS (Liberal but slightly towards the conservative side
[And that was my biggest blunder cuz it was my own opinion that I have formed during years that CBS is a bit conservative some of the anchors from CBS]
And before I could complete my sentence and say ABC liberal one Papers like New York Times. He and the other person on the left said it is liberal; I realized in a spur of the moment that I provided them with this opportunity myself just because I uttered my own opinion and did not go with the popular view that CBS is liberal (which it is)
Chairman: Do you think media can instigate wars?
Me: I do, yes they can
Thank you
Thank you sir (All were smiling when I left the room no one was hostile)
It was an average interview in my opinion; I think I have missed no details.
Just stay calm, don’t let anyone intimidate you, and no one will intimidate you because the environment in the room remains good. Trust me.)
Hoping for Allah’s help
Best of luck all.
Try not to make the mistakes I made.
Ali Mallah (Thursday, January 17, 2013), Amir ud din kolachi (Thursday, January 17, 2013), andleeb Akhter (Friday, January 18, 2013), BONA FIDES (Thursday, January 17, 2013), dr khan (Saturday, January 26, 2013), excessivemhz (Wednesday, July 16, 2014), farazrahu (Thursday, March 14, 2013), g.m.abro (Friday, January 18, 2013), Ghayyur (Thursday, January 24, 2013), Ghulam Farid Asad (Saturday, February 02, 2013), heyuayesha (Tuesday, February 19, 2013), Irum Siddiqui (Friday, January 18, 2013), khalidusman (Friday, February 01, 2013), madiha alvi (Thursday, April 18, 2013), Mayo1 (Friday, January 18, 2013), mechrose37 (Thursday, January 17, 2013), mir shujaat ali maaz (Thursday, March 28, 2013), mmkhan (Thursday, January 17, 2013), MobeenBhatti (Thursday, January 17, 2013), mobimian (Tuesday, February 05, 2013), Mrubab (Saturday, February 02, 2013), naeem khan1 (Sunday, January 20, 2013), Rida Malik (Thursday, November 28, 2013), rubab farooq (Monday, March 11, 2013), sadia hussain (Thursday, January 17, 2013), sajidnuml (Thursday, January 17, 2013), sajjad sadique (Thursday, January 17, 2013), sarfaraz shami (Thursday, January 17, 2013), Sarmad Ehsan (Friday, January 18, 2013), Seemab (Saturday, January 19, 2013), sharp mind (Thursday, March 14, 2013), Shaw (Saturday, February 23, 2013), Shikva (Friday, January 18, 2013), siddiqui88 (Friday, January 18, 2013), silent roar (Sunday, January 20, 2013), socrates (Friday, January 18, 2013), Taimoor Gondal (Thursday, January 17, 2013), TheUniter (Thursday, January 17, 2013), uzmauzi (Friday, January 18, 2013), Wish maker (Friday, January 18, 2013), xzzlingsidd (Tuesday, January 22, 2013), Z Bokhari (Thursday, January 17, 2013), zeeshan marwat (Wednesday, April 17, 2013), zeeshan_jawad (Friday, January 18, 2013)