View Single Post
Old Friday, June 29, 2007
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CSS 2007

DuuA is an unknown quantity at this point

I would rather repeat those points which have been mentioned by the other members. There is not much where I can analyze the outline critically. It is not necessary for an essay to be controversial for critical analysis. But the thing is that it should be elaborative enough to give an in-depth idea about the contents.

Media is the instrument which is driving the world towards increasing global connectivity. If media is the tool, then the repercussion of using the tool is the globalization as a unitary process. (There are many other tools, media is one such tool). (We can discuss here whether without media, globalization was possible or is it an independent process). Its social aspects (how the societies have imported other social values, how this social change has accelerated the globalization phenomenon, what are its pro and cons, how cultural amalgamations have changed the traditions, example of societies, particularly tribes in Africa, that are unaware of the ongoing changes—all due to lack of media—a major source of awareness. Multiculturalism, cultural diversity), example of countries where media is not free like Iran, Singapore yet they have been affected by globalization---implies particular geographical proximities can have a deep impact regardless of media freedom. Technological advancement has made the media available to us with a greater convenience ---and thus globalization. Exploitation by the media and its adverse effects of global issues. How media manipulated Iraq quagmire and how things have changed in ME, region shakiness and insecurity, affecting global purview. Isolated events are non existent. Global values have been changed. (Diplomacy replaced honesty, national interests replaced truth, Double standards—e.g. in WTO, Global Warming, Meaning of democracy, Inferences and interventions in other states’ affairs—all very explicit in in the angle of globalization) Scandal-mongering, sensationalism, jingoism or other unethical or unprofessional practices of media due to the global competition. Media anthropology in the perspective of globalization.

Right now, I can only think about these points. Since you wanted me to participate in the thread that is the only reason I have given my points. (There was little room for analysis of your essay, though I guess you must have explained your points in a concise manner in exam, except the point c.)