View Single Post
Old Tuesday, April 23, 2013

ajawad is on a distinguished road
Default Current & Pakistan Affairs

Dear all,

As we take up this difficult yet surmountable endeavor, I believe it is of critical importance that we come together and help each other out. For that matter, I have a proposition to make. I want to start a discussion thread where all of us can come together, discuss and debate about issues of importance to the world in general, and Pakistan in specific. For that reason, I would like to make this thread into one where we must strive to indulge and spark discussions on different topics. I believe by doing so, we can hit two (in fact, 3-4) birds with one stone - we can not only learn, discuss and refine our views about current & Pakistan affairs, we will also be able to practice our English writing skills on a daily basis by contributing productively to this thread (which in turn would benefit us for English essay and grammar papers). Hence, I propose the following rules:

1. Please bring up a topic which is relevant to Current & Pakistan affairs. Don't post generic topics. Be specific - pose a specific question, if you possibly can, to spark a debate.

2. Be respectful. There is a thin line between productive discussion and arguing just for the sake of argument. Our great goal must be learn and improve by indulging in such an exercise.

3. Seek others' help. There is no shame in admitting that you aren't as knowledgable about one topic as you might be for others. Don't hesitate to pose questions and ask for clarifications. However, the goal must not be to learn off more active members. If you don't know about an issue, do you research, brainstorm the topic, and eventually indulge in debate to form a refined opinion.

4. Please only post in English. Don't interpret this statement as me beng disrespectful towards our national and regional languages. However, if you are no opting for these languages in your optional subjects, you won't be using them in your exams at all. Hence, let us grab this opportunity to not only learn more about current affairs, but also practice and improve our writing skills.

5. Please bring others into the discussion. More viewpoints will provide you with more food for thought. And the more you have to consider, more opportunities you'll have to learn and form a solid opinion.

Please feel free to provide your feedback to my proposition. For all those who are in favor of this proposition, let us not waste time and get started. In my next post, I will provide you with my (brief) background and pose a question for the sake of discussion. In your posts, kindly provide your background as well and then leave your thoughts on the subject I bring up. Feel free to include other ideas and topics of discussion.

Thank you.

Regards,
Ahmed

P.S: Thoughts, suggestions, feedback and guidance from the seniors and moderators will be much appreciated.