View Single Post
Old Sunday, November 20, 2005
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Gold Medal: Awarded to those members with  maximum number of  reputation points. - Issue reason: For the year 2006

36thCommons will become famous soon enough
Arrow Public Administration: FAQs

Some questions answered:

1-What is Public Administration?

-In it's strictest sense,Public Administration is the the science of Bureaucracy.

2-How is it different from Private Administration?

-Private Administration is the study of the Private Sector (Corporate world) and Degrees awarded in this field are known as BBA/MBA,WHEREAS,Public Administration is a subject that emphasizes on the analysis of Bureaucracy,in both,national and international environments.Accordingly,Degrees awarded in this discipline are universally known as MPA (Masters of Public Administration) and MPP (Masters of Public Policy).

3-Why is this subject gaining rapid popularity?

-Well,It's popular among CSS candidates because of being a COMPULSORY SUBJECT at the CSA.Even the State these days considers the knowlegde of Public Administration a requirement and advantage,simply because it better prepares young officers for the future execution of their managerial duties and responsibilities.
Even generally speaking,it's popular because Bureaucracy is often referred to as the 4th organ of the Government,(the first 3 being the Executive,Judiciary and the Legislature).Such being it's importance in the State spheres,Bureaucratical sciences have attracted the attention of scholistic elites worldwide and the subject has accordingly been recognized by all international governments,particularly after W.W.1.

4-Is it a scoring optional?

-Absolutely!

5-Is it comparitively comprehendable to other optionals?

-If i were to describe it in three words,I'd say it's a 'piece of cake'!

6-What domains does Public Administration cover?

-The 'POSDCORB' activities of governments.These activities include:
* P = Planning
* O = Organization
* S = Staffing
* D = Directing
* Co = Co-ordination
* R = Reporting,and
* B= Budgeting

7-Like other subjects,will the study of Public Administration help me beyond the Civil Services as well?

-Without an ounce of a doubt!
POSDCORB activities are the techniques which are common to all organizations.Without them,no organization can exist!Specially without Planning,Organization,Staffing and Budgeting.

8-Who are the suggested authorities on Public Administration?

-(A)-Woodrow Wilson/The Study of Administration

-(B)-W.F.Willoughby's/Principles of Public Administration

-(C)-L.D.White/Introduction To The Study Of Public Administration

-(D)-Dr.Ribanti Ralph/Research of Bureaucracy in Pakistan

-(E)-Charles.F.Kennedy/The Bureaucracy of Pakistan

***Since a good portion of the paper emphasizes on Administration as practiced in Pakistan,therefore,it's convenient to study the works of domestic writers whose books are in compliance with the syllabus as given out by the F.P.S.C of Pakistan.
An authority among these authors is:

-(F)-Dr.Sultan Khan/Public Administration in Pakistan (Part 1),and

-(G)-Dr.Sultan Khan/Personnel Administration in Pakistan (Part 2)

-(H)-M.Faisal Khan/Public Adminstration---A Glossary alongwith Abbreviations and 10 years objectives.

9-These books also cover the entire domains of this discipline.Which chapters should I adhere to?

-It will be given out in the subsequent days.

10-What chapters should I expect questions from in the Competitive Examination,2006?

-This is a very sensitive and important issue and will be answered after careful scrutiny.But let me tell you in advance that CSS is all about expecting the unexpected!

11-How should I prepare my notes?

-It's always best to arrange for pre-prepared notes and material.However,try to follow a time-tested outline and for the said purpose you may consult the link/Post related to this issue,titled "Score Boosting Tactics"/Tips and Experience Sharing. http://www.cssforum.com.pk/beginners-guide/tips-experience-sharing/2285-score-boosting-tactics-taking-exam.html

12-What's the average time frame it takes to prepare this optional?

-A minimum of 1 week,and a maximum of 15 days.(Yes,I'm serious)!

13-Which Professors should I consult if I require a deeper understanding of Public Administration?

-I'm afraid that in this regard I can only help candidates claiming association to the Sindh Domiciles.However,on the general note,nationwide top ranking universities appoint publicly acclaimed authorities as Departmental Deans and Public Administration should be no exception to this fact.

As for the candidates hailing from Sindh,the following Professors can be consulted:

-(1)-Prof.Dr.Humayun (Departmental Dean-Karachi University),and

-(2)-Prof.Dr.Wajidi (Deputy Dean of P.A - Karachi University)

-(3)-NIPA (National Institute of Public Administration)-A national body,known as the heart of P.A.

****(Prof.Dr.Wajidi,a former CSP,has been the official examiner of the F.P.S.C for a consecutive 5 years and his expertise has been personally tested by me on a number of occassions.The Professor's HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)!!!

NT:Being pressed on time,I regret being unable to answer any further queries through PMs.

Last edited by Argus; Wednesday, February 01, 2006 at 12:42 PM.
The Following 57 Users Say Thank You to 36thCommons For This Useful Post:
5asif (Sunday, May 17, 2015), adnan humayun (Friday, January 06, 2012), aisha khushbakht (Friday, July 26, 2013), Ali Poswal (Monday, November 09, 2009), Altamash Qureshi (Sunday, May 31, 2009), anam9999 (Tuesday, March 03, 2015), Asad Ali Jogi (Thursday, May 21, 2015), Ash999 (Friday, August 02, 2013), babai (Tuesday, November 02, 2010), Bilo Aneel (Saturday, January 06, 2018), Diya Roshni (Sunday, May 17, 2015), farooqzia420 (Thursday, April 03, 2014), Farri aurora (Monday, April 30, 2012), forgivendevil (Wednesday, March 11, 2009), hafiz mubashar (Sunday, September 21, 2014), hmdtlcm (Wednesday, October 29, 2014), Intifada (Thursday, February 14, 2013), J.Zaib (Saturday, February 27, 2010), Javed Ahmed Nizamani (Thursday, September 11, 2014), jawad hussain (Tuesday, April 26, 2011), Jum (Tuesday, November 04, 2008), Khushi Malik (Thursday, October 20, 2011), mamirbutt (Tuesday, September 16, 2014), Maroof Hussain Chishty (Tuesday, March 16, 2010), Masroor Ali Soomro (Thursday, January 01, 2015), nasirhussain99 (Wednesday, June 10, 2009), Nazia a. ghaffar (Wednesday, February 06, 2008), Princess Royal (Monday, December 24, 2007), oxon (Sunday, November 18, 2012), parwarsha (Friday, October 12, 2012), pisceankhan (Monday, April 20, 2015), propofol (Saturday, January 09, 2010), QudsiaPK (Monday, October 27, 2014), RJ STYLE (Wednesday, January 22, 2014), saim n babar (Saturday, September 10, 2011), Saima 898 (Friday, June 13, 2014), salmanubaid (Thursday, June 05, 2014), sameer cheema (Thursday, October 22, 2009), Scarlett Omen (Tuesday, March 08, 2011), Shazia Rana (Thursday, February 24, 2011), Shooting Star (Monday, February 22, 2010), sksaqi (Sunday, May 05, 2013), smszaidi (Friday, November 04, 2016), sonia5 (Wednesday, November 21, 2012), stillserenity (Saturday, September 14, 2013), sunny volcano (Tuesday, March 20, 2018), The Lojic (Friday, August 05, 2011), theknight (Monday, March 18, 2013), umar riaz (Tuesday, May 15, 2012), Ummar Awais (Sunday, May 04, 2014), usman baloch (Thursday, November 12, 2009), virgoan (Sunday, November 28, 2010), waleedbaig (Thursday, July 21, 2011), Waseemtabish (Monday, July 20, 2009), xavier (Tuesday, March 23, 2010), Young Hafiz (Friday, August 14, 2015), ZAIGHUM ALI BHUTTA (Monday, March 07, 2011)