View Single Post
Old Friday, September 06, 2013

I Am You is on a distinguished road
Default What I learnt? - Human Digestion System.

As Salam Alekum and Hello o/ fellow aspirants!

Just to inform you that I am someone who has no background in biology. The last time I studied any of the topics related to biology was in 8th standard. I have currently enrolled myself in an 'Institute' and fortunately got a very qualified teacher. Though I fear asking her any questions, but what she explains and how she explains stays in mind. I am giving a try below, please feel free to point out mistakes in my writing and any feed-back is always welcome.

Human Digestion System

The digestive system is a series of events in which the human body processes the food. It is the breaking down and simplifying of food to be used.

Mouth

It is the place where the digestive system begins/starts. Food is chewed and is broken down. Muscus and Milase are kind of enzymes which are present inside the mouth and helps in simplifying the food. These are salivary enzymes which are produced by the salivary gland.

Semi solid food which is being simplified is known as 'Bolus'.

Pharnyx

It is part of the respiratory system as well as the digestion system. It is the throat, the pharnyx is the portion which receives the food from the mouth and is than enters the aesophagus.

Aesophagus

The food entering mouth than to pharnx enters the Aesophagus.

It is a narrow muscular tube which is 25 CMs long. It has a zigzag movement. This movement of the aesophagus forces the food from throat to stomach.

Stomach

The food after crossing which has been already undergone to some processes enter the stomach which is a large sack like organ which stores, breaks down the food mechanically and chemically into smaller and simpler particles. Proper mixing is done through the stomach. The food is bathed with a very strong acid inside the stomach which is called 'gastric acid'.

Parts of Stomach.
  • Cardiac
  • Fundas
  • Polyric

Small Intestine

After being in the stomach, the food enters into the small intestine.

The small intestine consist of 3 parts.
  • Duodenum
  • Jejunum
  • Ileum

Duodenum

It is 25 centi meters long it is responsible for breaking down of food in the small intestine using enzymes mostly the 'fats'. This is the place where maximum digestion takes place.

Jejunum

It is the middle section of the small intestine. It is about 2.5 meters long. The function of jejunum is the absorption of small nutrient particles which have been digested by enzymes in the duodenum.

Ileum

It is the final section of the small intestine it is usually 2-4 meters long. Its function is to absorb whatever products of digestion that were not absorbed by the jejunum. It helps in sending the required products to the body in a systematic way.

Large Intestine

Will write soon.

Some more commonly used definations were discussed which I will edit in this same thread as soon as I get time.
Alot of important features are missed in it, if you think something which should be written and is not present, please please reply to this post.
The Following User Says Thank You to I Am You For This Useful Post:
maha786 (Saturday, September 07, 2013)