View Single Post
Old Saturday, March 01, 2014

waqas izhar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadqureshi View Post
This is my personal opinion based on my recent experience of applied mathematics in CE-2014. Lets have a conclusive discussion about this subject, so that the newbies can save their time and energy.

First of all, let me introduce myself. I have done Electrical Engineering and have given the 2014 exam with Applied Mathematics, Physics and British History.

Although, throughout my academic career i was an average student in mathematics, yet when i first checked the syllabus for Applied Mathematics it seemed very compelling. I had studied Differential Equations, Vectors and Numerical Analysis portion during by degree and by the first look i thought i can do it easily. I had never studied mechanics and tensors, but i was sure i can do it.

But now that i have given the exam, i have realized that it was just a trap because of following reasons:

1. The course is enormous and requires a lot of time. Completing the course for 3 times ( at least 3 times for mechanics ) requires minimum 3 months with 5-6 hrs daily.

2. There is no objective and you have to solve 10 questions in each paper. So on average you have got only 18 min for one question which is not enough. As the questions are very lengthy, and if you are stuck in any question it may take much more time.

3. Another attraction in Applied Mathematics is that it gives solid marks if the answer is completely correct, but for this you need much much practice, so only opt it if you have ample time for the preparation and you are really strong in mathematics.

4. Majority of the people who opt Applied Mathematics have engineering background and mostly they don't have very strong concepts ( of course exceptions are always there ) but it's a different game in CSS. In engineering, we mainly focus on questions rather than proofs, but here proofs are equally important, and unless you have strong concepts you will be stuck in the middle.

So in the end, i must say that please consider these points before going for Applied Mathematics. It may prove a trap for you, like it did for me. All my other papers went so good but this subject has let me downfused.
let me disagree.
first of all let I also appeared in 2014 with applied maths. will I score excellent? no. will I score fine? I think so.

let us analyse the syllabus.
PAPER I
three questions were to be attempted from section a and two from section b.
if you had just prepared mechanics by q.k. ghouri you would have been able to attempt all five! and what is in that book? ten exercises? or twelve?
so if you give one day to each exercise and make your own notes you can prepare it in two weeks max. and if you go only with this one book good preparation you can get at least eighty marks.

PAPER II
two questions from section a
one from section b
two from section c

section c is all numerical analysis. the questions lengthen but you can shorten them by applying convergence formulas. for this section you just need to prepare numerical analysis book taught at bsc level.
if you are counting you already have 120 marks in your pocket in three weeks preparation.
of course you have to revise, but tell me which other subject gives you at LEAST 120 marks in three weeks and we are not done yet.

section a is differential equations
for that use schuam's outline series book. use mathematical methods by s.m yousuf for Cauchy euler equations.
I did not consult any book for PDEs, did it only from the internet. but you can use a book if you like.
you do that and you covered 160 marks. tell me which other subject gives you 160 marks by covering four books considering the new paper patterns?

the end
then you can pick the vectors and tensors and better still; just solve the questions from the past papers

I will change my other optionals, but never applied maths. thANKS
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to waqas izhar For This Useful Post:
farooq saeed (Thursday, May 08, 2014), Maria Farooq (Saturday, March 01, 2014)