View Single Post
Old Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Buddha has a spectacular aura aboutBuddha has a spectacular aura aboutBuddha has a spectacular aura about
Default Another Irrational post of mine!

@ Bilal Hasan thanks for writing a discouraging post. It will help me clarify some points for potential students.

In philosophy 2 you will not be required to put down your opinion. You will be required to write theories of Philosophers which makes it objective. If the paper requires that you write about Sartre's existentialism you will write what Sartre's views were, not your own subjective point of view. This makes Part 2 of philosophy an objective exam.

Idealism

You just have to study Berkeley's subjective idealism and German Idealism (Hegel and Kant)

Don't have to study Leibniz.

Plato's Theory of Forms is an easy concept.

Pragmatism

William James and John Dewey

Existentialism

Only Sartre, no need to study Kierkegaard

Logical Positivism

Now this made me laugh. Study this topic from the book I mentioned Philosophy Made Simple. It is very easy. Ayer's verifiability principle is the crux of it. Absolutely no need to study the whole Vienna Circle list which Bilal Hasan posted and then also mentioned the Circle as a context :P Funny

Marx's Dialectic Materialism

Western Philosophy pretty much ended...

For Islamic Philosophy

1-Mutazilites & Asha'arites -Or separate question about one-
2-Al Ghazali
3-Al-Farabi
4-Ibn-e-Sina
5-Ibn-e-Khaldun
6-Ibn-e-Rushd

No rocket science. Also leave 1 of them in choice. I left Ibn-e-Sina.

Subcontinent Muslim Philosophers not very hard philosophers. We already know much about them. Prepare 2 of them. Sir Syed and Iqbal.

Every subject is profound. Study from the right books and you will find the concepts very simple. Scoring trend of Philosophy 2 is also good. It may not get you a 90 like Philosophy 1 but it can get you a 70.
He that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow (Ecclesiastes 1:18)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buddha For This Useful Post:
Antalpur (Wednesday, November 19, 2014), Jolie Dame (Tuesday, April 22, 2014), saadqureshi (Monday, January 19, 2015), zakikhalid (Sunday, November 02, 2014)