View Single Post
Old Wednesday, March 26, 2014
43rd CTP (PAS)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2014 - Merit 13

Thanked 1,551 Times in 674 Posts
Bilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
@ Bilal Hasan thanks for writing a discouraging post. It will help me clarify some points for potential students.

In philosophy 2 you will not be required to put down your opinion. You will be required to write theories of Philosophers which makes it objective. If the paper requires that you write about Sartre's existentialism you will write what Sartre's views were, not your own subjective point of view. This makes Part 2 of philosophy an objective exam.

Idealism

You just have to study Berkeley's subjective idealism and German Idealism (Hegel and Kant)

Don't have to study Leibniz.

Plato's Theory of Forms is an easy concept.

Pragmatism

William James and John Dewey

Existentialism

Only Sartre, no need to study Kierkegaard

Logical Positivism

Now this made me laugh. Study this topic from the book I mentioned Philosophy Made Simple. It is very easy. Ayer's verifiability principle is the crux of it. Absolutely no need to study the whole Vienna Circle list which Bilal Hasan posted and then also mentioned the Circle as a context :P Funny

Marx's Dialectic Materialism

Western Philosophy pretty much ended...

For Islamic Philosophy

1-Mutazilites & Asha'arites -Or separate question about one-
2-Al Ghazali
3-Al-Farabi
4-Ibn-e-Sina
5-Ibn-e-Khaldun
6-Ibn-e-Rushd

No rocket science. Also leave 1 of them in choice. I left Ibn-e-Sina.

Subcontinent Muslim Philosophers not very hard philosophers. We already know much about them. Prepare 2 of them. Sir Syed and Iqbal.

Every subject is profound. Study from the right books and you will find the concepts very simple. Scoring trend of Philosophy 2 is also good. It may not get you a 90 like Philosophy 1 but it can get you a 70.

Dear it wasn't a discouraging post, it was meant to present before the aspirants a true and complete picture. I really don't have any reason to discourage them. It goes a famous saying "All that glitters is not gold" so that post was done with good intent. I hope you get the enthymeme in this argument which you will get after developing a sorites for that.

Everything has its pros and cons, nothing in this world is such that has only pros or only cons, and I hope you agree with me on this point.

You gave the Pros and I gave the cons so picture is complete now.

Your job is done and well done and so is mine. Shouldn't we leave it to aspirants now to decide what to do!

Regards,

P.S: I appreciate your concern for the aspirants but I would more appreciate if you correct yourself about certain points in your quoted post. Laughing away something doesn't render that thing invaluable but it also reflects your inability to understand that or your ignorance of it. A.J Ayer's criterion is just one part of Logical Positivism my friend. Little knowledge is a dangerous thing. However, my job is done now I disengage.