View Single Post
Old Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Buddha has a spectacular aura aboutBuddha has a spectacular aura aboutBuddha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilal Hassan View Post

Dear it wasn't a discouraging post, it was meant to present before the aspirants a true and complete picture. I really don't have any reason to discourage them. It goes a famous saying "All that glitters is not gold" so that post was done with good intent. I hope you get the enthymeme in this argument which you will get after developing a sorites for that.

Everything has its pros and cons, nothing in this world is such that has only pros or only cons, and I hope you agree with me on this point.

You gave the Pros and I gave the cons so picture is complete now.

Your job is done and well done and so is mine. Shouldn't we leave it to aspirants now to decide what to do!

Regards,

P.S: I appreciate your concern for the aspirants but I would more appreciate if you correct yourself about certain points in your quoted post. Laughing away something doesn't render that thing invaluable but it also reflects your inability to understand that or your ignorance of it. A.J Ayer's criterion is just one part of Logical Positivism my friend. Little knowledge is a dangerous thing. However, my job is done now I disengage.
Actually you deliberately wrote names of the entire Vienna Circle and made it a very lengthy list. You wrote:
Quote:
Moritz Schlick
Kurt Godel (his number theory, an attempt make meaningful interpretations from metaphysical abstractions)
Hans Hahn
Otto Neureth
Herbert Feigl
Rudolph Carnap
Vienna circle (as a context)

Schlick, Carnap, Hahn, Neurath and even also Godel, Feigl are all part of Vienna Circle. They are not separate from it as your post suggested. You missed Ayer which is the most important of Logical Positivism. This was hilarious. Well it may not be funny when the joke's on you so develop some sense of humour for that.

Godel's Incompleteness Theorem is part of Mathematical Logic and totally out of the scope of this course.

Logical Positivism is the rejection of Metaphysics so your statement an attempt make meaningful interpretations from metaphysical abstractions hardly makes any sense and that is even associated to Godel' number theory! Clearly, little knowledge is a dangerous thing! Your con-list was misleading and that needed clarification from OP. Now your part is done. This is a thread to guide students about Philosophy as an elective subject to get good marks in CSS, and in it one does selective study. I expect you won't come here and raise another debate. Make another thread if you want to debate on whether Vienna Circle did or did not include these members or Godel's number theory actually makes meaningful interpretations out of metaphysics.

Quote:
I would like to add a bit on that. One can always choose to skip Logical Positivism, Pragmatism as well as Subcontinent Muslim Philosophers. In their entirety. You will be safe even if the pattern of the paper is changed (like it did this year). If someone wants to do these topics, s/he can skip some other parts. Going through past papers gives a pretty clear idea of what to leave and what not.

After skipping optional parts, the syllabus of philosophy is less than many, if not most, other optional subjects. At least this is true when we compare it with the history subjects.
Thanks man and this coming a from an intelligent member who has taken the exam recently makes it worthwhile to consider! I also skipped Subcontinent Philosophers and Pragmatism
He that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow (Ecclesiastes 1:18)