View Single Post
Old Wednesday, March 26, 2014

flyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilal Hassan View Post
Optional subjects play pivotal role in the allocation, and this exactly is what we all want ultimately, after all CSS is not a degree awarding exam that we just have to pass, securing allocation is the ultimate purpose.

As far as Philosophy is concerned, yes its Paper I can give you a really good score, its being objective in nature has good scoring potential. But beware, you lose as much marks if you stumble.

But what next? Philosophy has two papers as it is 200 marks subject in CSS. I must say that if Paper I Logic is of very objective nature then Paper II is at extreme end, very subjective. If not prepared well, good score of Paper I will be offset by bad score of Paper II.

Now coming to Paper II: Very subjective in nature and very speculative. Let's have a glance at its syllabus:

Idealism: Its not just one topic, it has five Philosophies to deal with:

1. Absolute Idealism of Hegel
  2. Subjective idealism of Berkeley
  3. Pluralistic idealism of Leibniz
  4. Transcendental Idealism of Immanual Kant
  5. and last but not the least Plato's theory of forms.

Pragmatism: You gotta study 3 philosophers

1. C.S Pierce
  2. William James
  3. John Dewey

Logical Positivism: You would need to study 6 philosophers to comprehend that Philosophy.

1. Moritz Schlick
  2. Kurt Godel (his number theory, an attempt make meaningful interpretations from metaphysical abstractions)
  3. Hans Hahn
  4. Otto Neureth
  5. Herbert Feigl
  6. Rudolph Carnap
  7. Vienna circle (as a context)

Existentialism: The toughest nut to crack, you would need to study at least two Philosophers to have its complete view.

1. Soren Kierkegaard
  2. Jean Paul Sartre

Dialectical Materialism of Marx.

Islamic Philosophy: Yes, paper II continues.....

1. Al Farabi
  2. Ibn e Sina
  3. Ibn e Rushd
  4. Ibn e Khaldun

FPSC says you gotta need to study their MAIN Doctrines, a very ambiguous term used by FPSC, all those Philosophers have done so much in the realm of philosophy that almost every work of theirs is important. FPSC keeps the element of surprise for you in exam hall.

Muslim Theology:

1. Mutazilism (Five principles)
  2. Asharism
  3. Al Ghazali's attack on Philosophers and his other doctrines

Muslim Philosophy in south Asia:
  1. Sir Syed Ahmad Khan
  2. Shah Wali Ullah
  3. Allama Iqbal
  4. and Post Iqbalian thought (Again FPSC will surprise you here)
================================================== ============
I have given you the complete overview of that subject. Philosophy is a very profound subject. One Philosophy is a whole world in itself. It may happen that you will find yourself lost in the labyrinthine corridors of Philosophy.

It is advised to opt such subjects that are easily comprehensible and take little time to prepare, after all you need to prepare other 1000 marks too. Philosophy may be a hard nut to crack and when you realize that, it may be too late to switch to other subject.

If still you dare opt Philosophy, I have given the complete road map to follow and Philosophers to study under each Philosophy.

Best of Luck

Brother don't you think it is discouraging! I just want to say "Afsoos"..

You have mentioned many things, afsoos is lie ke, it would be difficult for me and my friends to opt it if it is that much lengthier as you mentioned.... By the way, had you attempted it in CSS14. If yes, then please share your experience with us. Thanks.

Last edited by Muhammad Ali Chaudhry; Sunday, June 01, 2014 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Chian posts