View Single Post
Old Monday, August 25, 2014

husseych is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolestmaverick View Post
OMG is a very good in terms of promotion and horizontal mobility.

First of all, every OMG officer is posted in the secretariat initially as Section Officer but there are a number of autonomous bodies/attached departments in which one can go on deputation. One can even get posted in provinces on deputation for 3 years which is also extendable for further 2 years. In provinces one can be posted on DMG seat as well. Moreover, there are some ministries like the Human Rights Ministry and Ministry of Industries in which you can get posted in cities like Lahore, Karachi, Peshawar and Quetta. Female officers can also enjoy the facility of getting posting in home towns as rules allow that.

Another good point is that OMG officers get the maximum chances to avail foreign trainings and degree programs. OMG officers are also posted on deputation in Pakistani embassies/ foreign missions abroad.

Furthermore, the donor agencies and international financial institutions like UN, ADB, Wolrd Bank and USAID hire OMG officers to run their secretariats, projects and programs in Pakistan and they offer a very good pay package.

Another great feature of OMG is that promotion is fastest among all the other occupational groups. There is great shortage of officers in the secretariat so chances of promotions are also bright. We can also be posted in 18th scale on acting charge easily because there's no one above. I'm currently working as a Deputy Director in an autonomous body which is a grade 18 post. Our seniors from the 27th common got the 19th scale in just 9 years which is impossible in other occupational groups.

Some negative points are that OMG officers don't get a car or house immediately. Getting a house allotted in Islamabad is next to impossible unless and until you have good connections in bureaucracy or political backing. The senior officials in secretariat possess all these facilities.

Another problem which OMG officers appointed through competitive exams face is that we have to fight promotees who qualify the promotional exam and join OMG. These people affect our seniority. Another category of people are the ones who come from other departments on deputation and get themselves regularised in OMG.

But overall OMG officers are the ones who run not only the secretariat but also have the chance to formulate policies from their desks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
sir, everything happens for good. believe me, me too wrote omg as my 6th priority, but at that time i didn't know much about it. my papers too went well and i was much sure about getting allocated in anyone of my top 3 priorities, but unfortunately my british history papers got punished severely.. this mishap made me fall to omg, after this i did some home work and came to know about OMG, and trust me, i am 100 % satisfied with it, rather i thank God for punishing my British History... haha, its like blessing in disguise

it is an awesome group for married women because in this group you don't have much to worry about and after your working hours you are totally free, you can enjoy your holidays with your family + you can have 1 permanent address (as no transfers from city to city). even in case of deputation, you stay in one place for 3 to 5 years. thats great!

as far as your 2nd question is concerned, according to best of my knowledge, you have to start your career in islamabad whatsoever. but afterwards, you can get posted to punjab secretariat in Lahore, or even in other public firms based in Lahore. Females get much relaxation in this regard.

Nice info, can you please tell me what kind of work is usually done in OMG. well the name shows office work but is it just about huge number of files with no interesting things or what ?
Secondly what kind of foreign training programs are offered to OMG ?